The Invitation

I sat on the steps looking up at the trees, the holidays would be coming soon. My parents would be glad to see me, but even more excited cause of the baby. Work was slowing down, slowly the cults were being broken up or they just ended.  Luke’s little followers was losing faith.  There was no profit  any where to be found. I needed to start putting all my attention on the  baby and not work. The baby won’t be here soon. It’s October now and I wasn’t due till December. My belly was big I could barely see my own feet.  I had few things so far for the baby. Darren even started moving his things out of his office for the baby’s room. Once he found out the sex on the baby once he got right to work.

    I looked up as Darren pulled the mail out the mailbox. Work picking up for him, but he mostly work from home. I hadn’t seen much of Jasper lately, he said been meeting with some old friends from high school. God knows who, he bunch of friends. But I was his closets.  I watched Darren walked back up the driveway reading envelopes when he stopped. He stood there for a few seconds.

“Well I’ll be damn.” He said softly. Whatever it was must have shocked him because his heart started to skip a beat.

“What you got there?” I called to him. When got to be passed me a teal blue envelope that had or names on it.  I  opened it and pulled out a card.  

“Holy shit, he’s getting married?” Darren said plopping down on the steps next to me. “I can’t believe Darrick is getting married. And didn’t even tell he met a someone, or that he asked her to marry him.”

“Why are you so surprised?” I asked him. “You knew what day this would happen. That your shy twin brother would find someone.”  

“I’m surprised cause he didn’t tell me. He use to tell me everything. First the job on the high court and now this.  Should have figured something was up when he started to shut out my thoughts sometimes.” Darren explained. I read the invite a little more. The wedding was in February.

“Darren, you didn’t always tell him things going on in your life. This is private and I think this is something he wanted to do on his own without you. He loves you and you know that, but  it somethings as twins and siblings that you two need to do alone.”  I know I shouldn’t be talking, I had no siblings to share my life with. Even if I did I wouldn’t know how to explain some of the choices i’ve made so far to them. Darren took the invitation out my hands and read more.

“It’s after the baby will be born.” Darren pushed his hair back from his face. “At least he will get to see one of his Uncles get married.” Yes, our beautiful baby boy will get to see his uncle’s wedding.

“You should go call him.” I told him.

“You're right, but speaking of calls. Where the hell is Jasper?”  Darren helped me up off the steps  and into the house.  

“Not sure, said he been hanging out with old friends.”  Darren looked at me.

“That’s odd even for Jasper. Then again, the guy needs to hang around humans. After all he is one.”  He sat me down on the sofa. “You should give him a call.”  I reached for my phone off the table.  

(part 1 of this weeks update. But not part one of this chapter)