Chapter 14

Mary was still pulling on the ribbons of my dress as she forced me out the door and I was still in the process of pulling the heel onto my foot as I hobbled out of the room. In her rush, Mary pulled the dress way too tight, to the point where I could barely breath. But there was no time to loosen it as I was already late.

I had woken up in a panic this morning. Or at least I was woken up in a panic. Because the Queen had gotten a very last minute message from France this morning that Princess Daphne was coming today. Today! So I was woken up, practically shoved into the shower, and forced into a fancy day dress in a matter of minutes.

I surprisingly wasn't late, but just the last one to arrive. So I quietly joined the others with only one glare from Silvia.

"Hey,"Marlee greeted me in a whisper.

"Hi!" I whispered back.

"Are you nervous?" She asked.

"No. Why would I be?"

"Why wouldn't you be!" Marlee exclaimed. "France is one of our closest allies. If the Princess and future queen doesn't like you than
You're as good as done!"

"Oh, I didn't think about that," I deadpanned.

I mentally freaked out, but tried not to let it show as two guards announced that the princess was here. I noticed Maxon rush into the room out of the corner of my eye and I sent him a smile. He smiled back.

"Bonjour!"

A pretty, young girl entered the palace. She was tall and lean, but not scrawny and stick like. Her skin was pale, but not in a bad way. It looked creamy and soft. Her features were angled, but not to the point where her bone structure overly showed. Her hair was long and blonde. Not dyed and artificial, like most blondes are as they grow older. But naturally glossy and bouncy blonde hair. I immediately felt self conscious standing next to her.

"Good morning, your highness,"Queen Amberley greeted.

"C'est un plaisir, votre majesté," Princess Daphne laughed, embracing the queen.

"It's a pleasure to see you too, Daphne," Queen Amberley replied

"You've been learning French?" Daphne asked, her accent heavy on each word.

"It is the language of love," Queen Amberley smiled.

"And its only fair since you've learned English," Maxon said, sweeping in to kiss her hand.

"Bonjour, mon amour," princess Daphne giggled.

"I speak French too," Maxon said, giving her a reprimanding look.

"Even better," Princess Daphne drawled.

Maxon turned away from her and to us. "These are the selected. Ladies Natalie, Kriss, Ashley, Elise, Marlee, and America."

"Bonjour!" Daphne greeted us.

"Bonjour," we replied in unison.

"Well welcome to our home," Queen Amberley said. "You're room is on the second floor, next to Lady America's. America, why don't you show her the way?"