Chapter XIV - Past and Present

Summer’s up. Hooray for this new update. <3

I dedicate this chapter to: @desTINEny. Happy reading, friend. God bless you.

-Mia

XIAN’S POV

I’m getting used with our setup. I’ll wake up like a real married man, with a wife who’ll serve me breakfast. We’ll eat together like a normal couple does. I’ll send her to her work, and will fetch her at law school by night. We’ll have dinner together and will eventually bid our good nights to each other.

I’m starting to find difficulty imagining life without her. Perhaps, I’m still confused of what she is now to me. I just hope that I would be able to figure it out before this virtual marriage ends.

It had been a long and rough day for the both of us. Instead of dining out, we decided to eat something nice at home. By just looking at her warms my heart. She’s a family to me now – a family that I never had. She makes me happy and makes me laugh with her lunatic aura. Who would have thought that a law student would not let me flip the fish because she believes that a ship would flip, too. Silly.

Up until she started to convince me to visit my grandmother who was never a grandmother to me this Christmas. I wanted to tell her that there’s no use of visiting her because she was never a family to me. She never showed me that a little boy like me, who unfortunately happened to be her grandson, is worth of her love. 

“Bakit naman? Christmas is supposed to be spent with families.”

“You’re my family right?” I gave her my sweet smile. “So, would you like to go out of the country?” I’ve been thinking of this plan for a couple of weeks now. I wanted to bring her somewhere far, to let her experience what White Christmas feels like. I also want this Christmas to be more special because it’s my first time celebrating it with her.

I was waiting for her answer when suddenly, my phone rang.

“Hello? May I know who’s calling?”

(Sir, this is from the agency. Ako po ang private investigator na nag-aasikaso ng pinahanap niyo. I just would like to inform you Sir na bumalik na siya ng bansa.)

My world stopped for a moment. She’s back? My knees feel weak. After all these years, bakit ngayon lang? What took her so long? What’s her reason for leaving me behind? The same questions pop into my head.

“…since when?” My voice was shaky.

(Kanina lang po. Galing po siya ng Amerika. Kasalukuyan pong naka-check in siya sa isang hotel sa Makati.)

I wasted no time. I grabbed my car key and left without saying Kim a single word. I wanted to talk to her but time won’t avail. I need to catch her. It took me 5 years to find where she is, and this time, I’m not letting her go. Never.

I reached the hotel where she stays close to the speed of light. I’m right in front of her door but I can’t find the courage to knock on her door. I don’t know how would I react after seeing her for the first time in 5 long years.

“I’ve been…” Right before I knock, she opened her door. She was in all smiles but not after she saw me. “X...Xian.”

Her smile faded and was replaced with unbelief.

“Jessica…”

“P-paano? How did you know that…”

I hugged her, just like the good old days. No words came out from my mouth. All I know was hugging her is the best thing to do. I hugged her tight as if I would never see her again. But she didn’t hug me back. She remained still and shocked.