pocket knife

pony had never had a soul mate tattoo. he was just, born without one. to his knowledge, he was the only one the world without one. his brothers had one, darry with a trident going up his forearm and soda with the phases of the moon on each finger. but then there was pony, a blank slate. nothing at all. just his regular peachy pale skin. he had gone to multiple doctors to see if anything was wrong with him but, he stopped listening after the third visit. it was all the same. first they checked his arms and hands, the spot where all soul tattoos are supposed to be located. then they checked the rest of his body, questioning if there was a small chance that the tattoo was placed on a different limb. in the end they figured there was nothing wrong with him. after all, there was no trace of disease or illness in his body. his vitals were fine, flowing like normal. bones strong and healthy, heart pumping blood through his body at a steady pace. he had been a normal baby. but, everyone called him something else. pony learned that it was either one of two things. "weird" or "special".

and no, pony was definitely did not feel any attraction to anyone. occasionally, he would accidentally fall into crushes on boys and girls of all kinds at school. they had the looks, the personality, the heart but... they all had soulmates that weren't him. so soon pony gave up. gave up trying to love. figured that he just didn't have anyone. and instead he just observed. and watched. observed as soda's tattoo glowed a soft pink as he bumped into a young man that they now know as steve. he continued to watch darry's tattoo every time they walked outside, knowing that he could bump into his soulmate at any given moment. he would also watch from afar as strangers met up with another and suddenly became lovers.

of course, pony didn't mind. at least it was one thing off his mind. he didn't have to worry about love or finding his soulmate. there was less weight on his shoulders, less that he had to do. but still. it would nice to be able to hold someone. or be held. close. without a problem in the world. it would be nice to have someone to always have. it would be nice to be happy with someone. it would be nice to fall in love with someone. it would be nice to at least have someone.

but one thing pony had found weird was his friend johnny. he, himself, was just plain weird. but still the huggable lovable friend pony has grown to know. pony figured that he should have found his soulmate by now, he was such a nice and caring guy. but he hasn't. according to johnny anyway. another thing was that pony always found it strange that johnny kept his arms covered. wore gloves every season of the year and long sleeves of every kind. when pony questioned him, he only got a shrug and soon johnny had brushed the question off.

"-ony? earth to pony."

pony sat up in a startle. was he daydreaming again. of course he was why would he be. he looked back across and met his eyes with his best friend, taking in it's grey storms.

"yeah? wha- what d'ya need?"

"well, i was going to tell you something but i guess you'd rather slee-"

"no, no! johnny, i'm listening!"

johnny didn't respond. this worried pony to the brim. he watched as the boy in front of him squirmed a little, looking down into the sup of tea in front of him, chewing his lip.

"hey- dude, look- you can tell me anything, okay? i'm here for you. please tell me what's wrong johnny, you're starting to wor--"

"idon'thaveasoulmatetattoo."

pony blinked, trying to process what had just spilled out of the boy's mouth. he raised an eyebrow.

"...could you say that again for me? but slower."

"i... don't have a soulmate tattoo," johnny spoke, his voice wavering. the gears in pony's head starting whirring widely. is this a lie? but, then again, why would you lie about not having a soulmate tattoo?

"could i see?"

johnny hesitantly nodded, then proceeded to take of his gloves and roll up his sleeves. he then turned his palms around slowly, showing that neither sides of his arms were covered.

"i know it's weir-"

"it's not," pony smiled, "i don't have either."

johnny looked at him wide-eyed, "you don't?"

"you never noticed?"

"i always thought it was on your shoulder or something," johnny laughed dryly, "you never seem to wear tanks."

pony couldn't help but smile. he was speechless. he had finally found someone like him. his body was overfilled with joy. johnny on the other had was still a bit nervous. pony could still see it on his face. he knew johnny had a hard time trusting people and what they say. quickly, without thinking, he quietly put a comforting hand in johnny's palm. it was an 'it's okay' type of hold. johnny smiled as pony squeezed his palm. a pink aura lit up. hands turning over, both of them were met with a surprise. two matching tattoos on their wrists. each the same picture of a small pocket knife.

word count: 877

a/n heyoo sorry we haven't been writing much both of us out of ideas ;;;v;;; enjoy this short lil soulmate au! (personally though i hate this with a BURNING passion) - p to the j