peace and quiet

the area was completely vacant. not a single person in sight. perfect. ponyboy cautiously took one step, looking around to see if there was anyone else coming. and as luck would have it, no one came. slightly more confident, ponyboy continued to walk, well tip-toe, around the area, and he stopped at a bulky tree. with his left hand, he motioned for his tan-skinned friend to come over and join him. but the boy seemed skeptical.

"aww c'mon johnny," pony started. "this tree has enough shade for the both of us. plus, the view ain't half bad. it's almost like you can see the whole galaxy from here."

johnny fiddled with his jacket sleeves as he spoke. "hmm, i don't know pony. it's gettin' kinda dark out. isn't the gang gonna be worrying 'bout us?"

pony shrugged, "it's not that dark yet. plus, do you want to be standin' near that moldy tire all night?"

johnny turned to his left, and sure enough, there was a smelly moldy tire there. it wasn't a mystery as to how it got there. after all, they did cross a junkyard. but it did smell disgusting. johnny giggled slightly, finally deciding to tip-toe over to the tree.

the two boys sat down on the small patch of grass that was under the tree, looking up at the sky. the small amount of stars that we're out illuminated the dark night sky. there was no moon out, so the stars seemed to stand out.

pony sighed peacefully. he didn't get to come out to this abandoned lot that often. he used to do it quite frequently, just to alleviate the stress he felt. he loved being around the greasers at times, but there were days where he just needed to clear his head. and this was the perfect place to do so.

pony looked over at johnny, who continued to gaze up at the sky in awe. he smiled fondly, never regretting his decision to show johnny this place. pony slowly stood up, stretching his hands.

"you wanna leave already? we just got here," johnny asked, a hint of sadness detected in his voice.

"what? you think i'm gonna leave you here all alone?" pony asked jokingly, grinning when he saw johnny vehemently defend himself and turn a light pink color.

"m'kidding, johnny. just wanted to stretch," pony said reassuringly, sitting back down. johnny turned away from pony in shame. he knew pony was his friend, why did he think he'd leave him alone? god he was a paranoid fool. pony seemed to notice johnny's sudden silent behavior and frowned slightly.

he took the tan boy's hand in his and gave it a reassuring squeeze. "you know i'd never leave here without you, johnnycake. m'sorry for scaring ya," he added apologetically. johnny grinned at that, leaning his head on pony's shoulder.

the two stayed in that position for what seemed like an hour. pony looked up at the sky, noticing how much darker it got. "the amount of stars seemed to increase, so i guess it's easier to get home," pony thought to himself. he turned to face johnny, only to find that his eyes were closed. it didn't take long for pony to realize that johnny fell asleep on his shoulder. pony smiled fondly, ruffling the sleeping boy's hair affectionately.

slowly, in order to not wake him up, pony managed to pull both himself and johnny up. he noticed the ripped denim jacket johnny was wearing, and didn't think that it would help keep him warm on the trek home. pony also noticed the large oversized jacket that dally gave him. a lightbulb suddenly went off in his head.

carefully, he removed one of his arms from the jacket, leaving it half-on/half-off and wrapped the removed half around johnny's shoulders. he then wrapped his free hand around johnny's shoulder and held him close. with johnny around him and while holding the jacket securely with his arm, pony began the trek back to his home. surely darry and soda would understand.

word count: 677

a/n i've had this idea for a while, but i was kinda scared to release it. hopefully it's not too bad! - todd

a/n sdchyufgvgweyhvibnonlkwen!! im in love,,, such a pure and lovely story ahhh good job, todd my friend! - p.j.

a/n aww thanks pj! - todd