xix. how montgomery finds out

montgomery opened his eyes, groaning from the massive headache that he was experiencing.

"i'm never drinking again." he muttered, sitting up in his bed. how did he get home? he had no clue. his hand reached over to grab his phone.

all he remembered was having an argument with elizabeth. he remembered some of the things that he said to her.
"i'm such an asshole." he stated, scrolling through his contact list to call elizabeth.

he put the phone to his ear, letting it ring.
"hi, it's elizabeth! leave a voicemail and i'll try to get back to you soon!" montgomery ended the call and got out of his bed.

he pulled on some jeans and a t-shirt, and began to leave his house in attempts to mend the fight between him and elizabeth.

•••

when montgomery's truck pulled in front of elle's house, he saw tons of police cars outside the house, causing him to rush out of his truck.

monty ran up the steps of the porch, seeing police entering and leaving the house. he saw elle's mother and sister talking to an officer. both of them had looked like they had been crying.

este looked up, seeing montgomery staring around the house in confusion. she excused herself from the police and walked over to him.

"este, what happened? where's elle?" he asked. este thought that all her tears were gone, but as monty asked her about elizabeth, she was proven wrong.

"she was in a car accident with jeff. neither survived." este shook her head, getting choked up.

that's when it happened. time stood still as montgomery's brain tried to process the news.

neither survived.

montgomery's vision became blurred as he realized that he was crying. he shook his head and all he could do was fall to his knees. sadness trembled through him as his gentle tears turned into sobs. his sobs turned into angry tears as he realized that this was all his fault.

este kneeled in front of montgomery, pulling him into her arms. monty cried more than he had in his entire life.

the love of his life had slipped right through his fingertips, and he let it happen.

---
awh monty ):