xv. the breakup

elizabeth stood in front of montgomery, unable to speak. she was upset, confused, but she felt that it was all her fault.

"say something, elle!" montgomery insisted. elle asked the only thing running through her head.
"did you kiss her back?" she asked. montgomery opened his mouth to speak, but closed it when he realized that he did. he kissed her back.

"yes." he answered truthfully. if he lied to elle, it would only make things worse for them. a sigh left elle's lips and she turned her back to him.

"it's my fault. i told you to apologize to her." elle shook her head. she felt monty's hand on her arm, making her turn around to face him.
"it's not your fault, elle. you told me to apologize but you never told her to kiss me." he said.

"montgomery, you kissed her back." elle said, looking up at her boyfriend. he sighed. he made a mistake, he didn't mean to kiss her back.

"i'm sorry, elle." was all montgomery could say. he didn't know why he kissed jasmine, he just did.
"maybe we should break up." elle said softly.

"no no no, elizabeth. we're not breaking up." monty shook his head. elle's bottom lip trembled as she tried not to cry. she couldn't believe that she was going to break up with montgomery.

"monty, i love you—"
"then don't break up with me!" monty said, looking into her green eyes as tears began to well in them.

"montgomery, i love you so much, but this relationship is causing more trouble than good. for what it's worth, i don't think i'll ever love someone the way i loved you." elle said, and the tears began to fall.

"i love you." monty whispered as he pulled elizabeth into a tight embrace.
as the two were in each other's arms, elizabeth realized that montgomery de la cruz was in fact, her first love.