vii. monty confesses

the sound of cheers crowded the hallways of liberty high school due to the baseball team winning the first game of the season.

elizabeth stood outside the boys' locker room, waiting for jeff so that she could congratulate him. the fact that montgomery also played on the team slipped her mind.

jeff atkins exited the locker room, pulling on his letterman jacket. he saw elizabeth and he walked over to her.

she looked up from her phone, seeing jeff.
"congratulations, jeffrey!" she smiled, pulling him into a hug. he wrapped his arms around the short girl.

"thanks, elle. did you congratulate montgomery?" jeff asked, causing elle to gasp.

"i forgot about monty! will you come with me to find him?" she pleaded. jeff nodded and he walked to the parking lot with his best friend.

elizabeth stopped in her tracks when she saw montgomery leaned up against the wall, kissing one of the school's cheerleaders. jeff looked at elle, wondering why she'd stopped walking.

"elle? what's wrong?" he asked, seeing tears begin to form in her eyes. she nodded towards monty and the cheerleader.

jeff turned and looked.
"what an asshole." jeff scoffed, folding his arms over his chest. montgomery's lips retracted from the cheerleader's.

almost instantly, his eyes found elizabeth's, causing him to shake his head. he moved away from the cheerleader, rushing over to elizabeth.

he needed to plead his case.
"elizabeth, i need to explain." monty said, trying to get past jeff. however, jeff wasn't allowing it. he was not going to let monty hurt her feelings anymore.

"you don't need to explain yourself, montgomery. we're not even dating. you don't even like me." elle shook her head, wiping away her tears.

"i do like you, elle. i promise i do!" montgomery said, and he shoved jeff out the way. monty placed his hands on elizabeth's arms, looking down at her.

"if you like me, why would you kiss her?" she asked, sniffling, partially because of the brisk february air and partially because she had been crying.

"because i have idiot friends and i don't know how to tell them no. elizabeth, i like you. only you, i swear. i'm realizing that i don't care what my friends think or what anyone thinks, really." monty confessed. elle's green eyes glanced up at montgomery.

"monty, i like you. a lot. i haven't been able to stop thinking about you because of how much i like you, but i can't be with you if you go around kissing other girls." she said.

"i won't! you're the only girl i want to kiss. i promise." he stated. her lips curled up into a smile, and monty couldn't help but to pull her into an embrace.

when their hug ended, monty looked down at the beautiful girl. he moved her hair out of her face and rested his hand against her cold cheek.

"it'd be pretty awkward if i didn't ask you to be my girlfriend right now. so, will you be my girlfriend?" monty asked and elle nodded.

"of course i will, monty." she smiled.

--
word(s) of the chapter: kiss/kissing ??? i guess