Part 17

Spring, 7 years ago.

NETTLETON

EDITH'S BARN

"Will, come lay beside me," I say to William. "It's so comfortable here."

He puts down the water bucket and lays himself on the hay, right beside me. "We'll never get all of those gardenias watered." 

"Why are you so committed to the job?" 

"Because I promised Edith."

"You're such a dork," I wrap my hand around his chest, "Just lay here for a bit and I'll let you go back to watering flowers."

He places his hand on top of mine while his other hand is folded underneath his head. The sun comes through the small holes on the roof. 

"It's amazing, isn't?" I say, "Laying on a hay in this weather, it's so comfortable we don't need anything else. I can do this forever." 

"We could do this forever," he says, turning his body to the side so his face faces mine. He wraps his hand around my waist and he pulls my body closer to him. 

"Honestly. With you, I could do this forever," he says.

"You're much too kind, sir," I joke 

He didn't laugh. Instead, he says, "You know I love you, right?"

I scoff, "You know you're such a dork, right?" 

He laughs and buries his face on my neck, which tickles and makes me laugh really hard, all the way outside the barn. 

***

BACK TO PRESENT

I moved my body around again, for the fifth time.

"You know when you do that, the bed creaks and it prevents me from sleeping," William says. "It's way noisier from down here."

"Sorry," I sigh, "I cannot sleep. I'm so tired but I cannot sleep and it frustrates me."

"That's because you've already slept so much," he says, "Why don't you count some sheep?"

"Count sheep?"

"What do you want to count?"

"Instances where you're being a total dork?" I say and he laughs.

Silence.

"You know I thought you'd be different," I say again.

"Different how?"

"Well..." I turn my body so I can see him on the floor, "Since the last time we saw each other, you have become this... Public figure. You graduated the top of your class, joined the army, became a pilot..."

"So you've been following the news about me," he grins.

"That's the point, see? It was hard not to. You've become so famous around the world. And this wedding of yours? Geez, it's all over my Instagram feed I cannot seem to escape it."

"And you think that'll make me a different person?"

"Naturally."

"I don't think I've changed, Paris," he looks at me. 

Suddenly, I feel something in my heart. Like someone grabs it and squeezes it really hard.

What is this.

"Hey," he said, "I still know how I can make you fall asleep easily."

His lips opens into a wide smile.

"Oh no...." I chuckle, "You remember?"

"You want me to do it?"

"Oh, yes please. Take me back there."

He clears his throat. I thought he was joking. But to my surprise, he opens his mouth and starts singing Somewhere Over my Rainbow. Just like that afternoon we were laying on the hay, falling asleep in each other's arms.

And just like that, I begin to feel sleepy and my eyes drift to close.

"Will?" I say, closing both of my eyes.

"Yes?"

"I'm really glad you haven't changed."

"And I you," he says, and continue singing.

***