Part 7

******* SPRING, 7 YEARS AGO *******

NETTLETON WATER TOWER, THAT ROOM AT THE VERY TOP

"Hurry, Will! It's almost sunset!" I shout to William as I reach the top of the stairs.

I settle myself on the bench where we usually sit to watch the view from the tiny window. There's nothing on that room except for a small cupboard near the beach and the thick old blanket we use as seat covers. Today is our 7th day at Nettleton.

"Do you think we'll get an even better sunset today?" I ask him

I'm not hearing replies, so I turn my head to see him standing still behind me. He has this weird expression across his face. 

"What's wrong?" I ask, "Your hand is hurting again?"

Two days ago, he twisted his arm carrying two buckets full of water for Edith's gardenias.

"I received a text from the Palace," he says, "They need me to attend an event. A very important state event."

"Oh."

"I'll come back as quickly as I could," he says, jumps to sit next to me, "The event will only take 2 hours tops and I'll drive back here right away."

I look at him. His golden hair glows even more beautifully with the afternoon sun striking from the square window beside us. 

I love this man. 

"Actually, you know what? Why don't you come with me?" he says, "Yes! You can come with me and we can drive back here together."

I love this man, but he is not for me. 

"Paris?" he pulls my hand. "Will you come with me?" 

"You know what?" I force myself to smile, "Maybe it's time for us to go back, Will. We've been here for seven days."

"No!" he says, "No, no, no, let's stay longer. We need to stay longer. We are not finished. I'll come back straight away, I promise."

I sigh, "But until when, Will? We have to leave Nettleton eventually, right?"

"Eventually. Not now."

We look at each other eyes. He places both of his palms on the sides of my face. 

"Please?" he says, pleading with his two blue eyes looking at me like a little kid, "I don't want this to be over yet."

He moves his head closer to mine, our lips nearly touch.

"But you know it'll be over," I hiss, "You know that, right?" 

My voice begins to shake as I choke back my tears. 

"No, it'll never be over," he says, "I promise." 

He moves his lips closer and plants it against mine.

He kisses me exactly the way he did for the first time, in that piano room at the Palace. His fingers grasp strongly around my hair.

And without removing his hands, he looks right into my eyes and says, "I want to give you something."

He reaches down his jeans pocket and pulls out a ring. I gasp at the sight of it. It's the most beautiful ring I have ever seen. It's silver, with a big blue stone in the middle. 

"This," he says, taking my left hand, "is my way of telling you that I will come back to you. This is my way of telling you that I meant every single word I have ever said to you."