Part 5

The next morning, I went down to the breakfast area to meet the rest of the group. We're going to a city named Bath today to learn about architecture and visit a historic spa called the Roman Baths. 

But when I got there, the breakfast area seems to be empty. 

Am I the first to appear? It couldn't be, we're supposed to leave for Bath at 9 AM and it's now 9:03 AM.

Have they left without me? 

"Excuse me," I ask one of the waitresses, "Do you happen to know or see people from New York University? A group of Americans who also had breakfast here yesterday."

"Oh, I think they left," she says, "About 10 minutes ago."

Crap

I run as fast as I could toward the elevator to get to the lobby.

The lobby is empty. 

Shoot, they really left me behind!They always count people at the bus before we leave, didn't they realize I'm missing? How can they do this to me?

"Excuse me, Miss," suddenly I hear someone asking, "Are you Miss York?" 

I turn around and see hotel concierge person smiling at me. "Miss York, I assume?" 

I nod. 

He smiles even wider. "Good morning, Miss York. I have a message from your chaperone, Miss Carissa. She left this for you."

"Oh, thanks," I take the paper from him.

Dear Paris,

Congratulations! I received a call from Buckingham Palace last night and they said you were chosen as the best visitor among everyone else who went on the tour yesterday. Yes, you! As a prize, you're entitled to a highly exclusive VVIP tour of Buckingham Palace!

No, no, no. What? 

I think this is a once in a lifetime experience. A VVIP tour of the Buckingham Palace! Imagine all the history you could learn and maybe share it with your classmates after. You'll miss our trip to Bath, but they told me you may have a chance to meet one of the Royal family members if you go today... So I was thinking, you can do a quick interview and write something for the class report? It'd be wonderful. 

They said they will take care of all your transport arrangements, so you just have to wait in the lobby. You have my number, call me as soon as you're back. Have fun and see you tonight (they said this VVIP tour will take all day). 

Take care! 

Miss Carissa.

I look at the letter in disbelief. 

It no longer shocked me when I saw the guy from yesterday ━ who stopped me by the Palace exit ━ appearing before me. In his official Palace black suit, he gives me a polite smile and says to me:

"Good morning Miss York. The car is ready to take you to His Royal Highness."

***

The door in front of me swings opened and the first thing I saw was William's wide grin. 

He's wearing a dark denim and a light blue shirt, making his eyes look even bluer. My stomach churns and my heart starts to race at the sight of him.

"Oh my God," I say to him. "This is insane. What is happening, Will?"

"It's nice to see you again too," he says, still grinning. "Would you like a cup of tea? Sorry, I mean coffee. You're a New Yorker, you drink coffee."