Part 15

I open my eyes to the sound of loud, thumping noise. 

What's happening?

"Go back to sleep," I hear William's voice saying, "It may be awhile."

I straightened my body and realized that the car has stopped in the middle of nowhere.

"Did I fall asleep?" I ask him. 

He nods. "You slept the entire flight and you slept again in the car. I can't believe you still have that ability to sleep that much."

"It's the jet lag. Why are we stopping?" I look through the car's window and see nothing out there but a field of grass. 

"The car broke down."

"What?"

"It died suddenly," he says, "Alfred said it may be overheated."

"Seriously? This is a fancy car, how can it get overheated?"

"Fancy cars get overheated too," he replies, getting back on his book.

I let out another sigh. I reach out for my cell but it has gone completely dead, crap. 

"What time is it?" I ask again

"About 11 pm," he says, turning a page, "Go back to sleep."

I look out through the car window beside me. We're truly in the middle of nowhere. 

"I'm gonna go check on Alfred," I say to him. 

"No, no. Don't go out," he says.

I look at him. "Why?"

"It's dangerous out there."

I scoff, "Haven't you seen what's out there? It's grass, Will. What danger could possibly come from grass?" 

"Don't go out."

I roll my eyes at him and open the car's door anyway. But suddenly, in one quick move, he hovers his body over mine to reach for the door handle and pull it back closed. 

"Can't you listen to me?" he starts shouting, "Is it really difficult for you to listen to what I say?" 

"What the f---" I react in surprise, "Why are you shouting?" 

He was about to reply when Alfred comes knocking on the car's window beside him. 

William takes a second to calm himself before rolling down his window. 

"Yes?" he says to Alfred. 

"I'm afraid I have bad news, Your Highness. The damage is more severe than we've estimated, so we need to find an auto shop to fix it. I have called a tow truck to take us there but they won't get here until 1,5 hours."

"1,5 hours?" I shriek, "Oh no." 

"So we have to wait here then?" William asks

"Even if we wait, the car will be taken to the auto shop that's already closed by now. They won't work on it until morning."

"So we have to sleep in the car?" 

"I have made some calls and there is a nearby house who can accommodate you for tonight. The owner can come to pick you up and he has agreed to full confidentiality. The house isn't much, they said, but I think it's a better place to sleep than this car."

"I'm going to the house," I say quickly, "Please tell the owner to pick me up."

"I apologize Miss York, but I really need the both of you to stay at one place tonight. If you want to go to the house, then Your Highness must go too. If Your Highness wants to stay in the car, then Miss York must stay in the car. It's easier for me to monitor you both that way, for your safety."

I look at William, and back to Alfred. "Alfred, there is a bed in that house, right?" 

"Yes, Miss York."

"And hot water to bath?"

"Yes, Miss York." 

I look at William, "I think the choice is rather obvious." 

"There is however, one problem," Alfred says, looking at us both. "They only have one guest so I'm afraid you both have to share."

***