Part 18

"The car isn't finished just yet, Your Highness," Alfred says to us the next morning, "So I've called for another car to come pick us up."

"And that'll take an hour, I assume?" Will says

"Unfortunately. But I'll make sure we get to Nettleton as soon as possible, take care of the matter straight away so you can be on your way back to London before the event tonight."

"What event tonight?" I ask

Alfred glances at William before answering, "Prenuptial meeting with the Bishop."

"What?" I shriek, "You have a prenuptial meeting with the Bishop tomorrow morning? What the f━ are you still doing here?"

Alfred looks uneasy. Perhaps the language I used, or perhaps the fact that he's also nervous about getting William late for his meeting with the Bishop.

"I thought we'd be done with Nettleton last night and I'll be on my way back to London today," Will says to me, "Forgive me for failing to foresee the car problem."

"I can take care of Nettleton," I tell him, "I can go there on my own and get the ring."

"I told you, I want to take this matter into my own hand," Will says.

"You no longer trust me with this ring, do you?"

"Obviously," he sneers.

Suddenly, Alfred lets out his rare smile.

"Don't worry Your Highness, I'll make sure today will go according to plan."

"Thanks Alfred," Will says, "Meanwhile, what should we do while we wait for the car?"

"I opt for sleeping," I say

"Bloody hell, you can't possibly━" Will looks at me with disbelief, "You slept so much already!"

"There's a tiny village just 10 minutes walk from here," Alfred says, "It's quiet, only a few locals. It'll be safe for you to walk around undisturbed."

Will looks at me, "Shall we?"

I nod, "Yeah, why not."

***

When Alfred said it's a tiny village, he really meant tiny. It has a church, a couple of little shops, and that's it.

"I wonder what these people do to stay busy," I say to William as we walk along the village path.

"I think they farm," he says, "Besides, if this was your whole life, you don't need anything else. If you're not accustomed with everything else beside a church and a couple of shops, you don't feel the need for anything else."

"True."

"It could be nice though," he says, "I'd imagine life would be much simpler."

"You know you always spoke of this," I say to him. 

"Spoke of what?"

"A simpler life. Back in Nettleton, you continuously expressed how much you loved our simple routines and how you think you could do it forever."

"Well," he smiles, "I meant it."

"Is it because it's a fantasy for you? Given your Royal title, you can never have a simple life."

He looks at me, not answering.

I shrug, "I honestly don't get it. If you don't want to do the Royal thing, then don't do it, Will."

"You know it's not that simple."

"I know. So quit wishing differently and learn to love it. Because you know you have no other option but to do it."