Part 10

******* SPRING, 7 YEARS AGO *******

NETTLETON

"You're crazy," I laugh, "Here, have some more wine," I grab the Pinot off the floor and pour it into William's glass. The fireplace crackles beside us.

"I meant it. You are going to be an excellent Royal Princess," he says. 

"Like Grace Kelly?" I smirk

"No, like Paris York. You're going to become your own version of a Princess. You will scold the paparazzi when they get too invasive, you will question things the Queen wants you to do, and you won't give a slightest damn to what the tabloids say about you," he says.

"And that is why I will never get the role," I chuckle.

"Why?"

"Because that's what Princesses are supposed to do. They smile at the paparazzi, do everything the Queen wants them to do, and care about tabloid headlines. If they do less than that, they'll be locked on the top of a tower and put to sleep until the curse is taken out of her."

"Are you referring to Sleeping Beauty?"

"Yes," I smile and we both laugh.

"But that's not all what Princesses are supposed to do, you see. You're forgetting the main part," William says, moving his head closer to mine.

"What's that?"

"To take the Prince's breath away," he says as his lips begin to touch mine, "Every time he sees her."

***

******** BACK TO THE PRESENT ********

"What are you doing here?" I say to William. Alfred pushes the car's door beside me closed. 

Clearly he's afraid anyone would see. 

"Well you're in my car, so the question should be reversed," he says, rather coldly. 

I cannot believe he talks to me in this tone. I am the one who should be pissed.

After a couple of awkward, silent seconds between us, I say to myself, no, I cannot do this. I cannot speak to him. 

I push the car's door back opened and get out. I face Alfred, feeling annoyed. "I asked you not to tell anybody that I am here, especially him."

"I apologize, Miss York," he says, "He insisted."

Suddenly we hear the car's door being pushed opened. William is stepping out of the car.

Alfred jumps in panic. "Your Highness, please stay in the car. There may be paparazzis around. We cannot have you photographed with Miss York. Please, Your Highness, please go back inside."

I look at William who is staring right at me. There's anger in his eyes. 

What is wrong with him? Why is he mad? I'm supposed to be the one who's mad!

"Your Highness, please," Alfred pleads again.

I see Alfred's face starting to turn purple again. You see, I have developed a strong sympathy for Alfred over the last couple of days and I don't want him to get into another trouble.

I open the car's door and jump inside.

William follows immediately and we find ourselves back to sitting side by side in the backseat of this car.