Survival Skill 22: Thou must not let Daddy freak out

I ran downstairs and to the door where my dad was standing. “Daddy!” I’m a Daddy’s girl, sue me. I was a little out of breathe because I had to cross back quickly. Luckily, I was too nervous to care about my fear of heights because I was more scared of my Dad’s sudden visitation.

“Georgina!” Dad called out, enveloping me in a hug. I grimaced at the name but let it slide. “Where’s Jamieson?” he asked as he let go of me.

“It’s Jamie, Dad.” Jamie said as he walked down the stairs. “Jamieson sounds so sissy.”

“Ah, Yes.” Dad said. “Teenagers are very picky of how people call them, right?”

Jamie nodded, giving Dad a hug. “Yes, Daddykins.” His voice was shrill, the same way when he imitated me a few moments ago.

Dad rolled his eyes, letting go of Jamie. He stared at us for a second before giving a full-blown smirk. “Well, you guys have grown.”

Jamie smirked. “It’s called ‘puberty’, Dad.”

Dad crossed his arms over his chest with a grin. “Ah, yes, the miracle of turning spoiled kids into sarcastic young adults.”

I chuckled while Jamie gave Dad a grin, the same one my Dad had. Jamie looked more liked my Dad than me. I didn’t look more like Mom though. I was sort of a mixed breed, as Dad would call it.

Our little bonding was cut short when Mom, who, apparently, was standing by the door the whole time, cleared her throat. Turning to her, I hid a grimace. She had a solemn expression as she acknowledged Dad with one word. “Mike,”

“Julie,” Dad responded, also with one word.

I rolled my eyes while Jamie shuffled awkwardly. Mom and Dad might have a civil separation but that didn’t meant they turned buddy-buddy again. In fact, they seemed to be just strangers that were only forced to awkwardly see each other due to their children. Adding to that was their silent battle of who was having a better life.

Jim suddenly emerged from the living room, probably wondering where everybody went. “Who’s at the door - Oh!”

“Jim,” Dad said as if that one word was considered a greeting.

Jim stood up straight. “Mike,”

Deciding that this was stupid, I decided to play along. “Jamie,” I said in the same monotone way they did.

Jamie smirked when he realized what I was doing before trying to look solemn. “George,”

After a second, we both burst out laughing because we knew we couldn’t do it the same way my parents did. We were only cut short when we realized we were the only ones laughing and the adults were only staring at us with pissed expressions. Ending our laughter with an awkward chuckle, we both looked down.

“So, how’s it been Julie?” Dad tried to ask but it ended up forced.

“I’m doing fine. How ‘bout you and Nelly?” Mom asked and I bit my lip. She said it wrong on purpose again.

“It’s Patty.” my father corrected, referring to his current wife.

Mom chuckled forcefully. “Oh, I’m so sorry. I always have it wrong.”

Dad tried to look unoffended. “We’re doing fine.” Uncrossing his arms, he decided to fight fire with fire. “How’s Prim and Paul?”

I looked at him exasperatedly. He did the same thing with Mom.