Survival Skill 21: Thou must cheer up

• Dedicated to Supportive Readers <3

Survival Skill 21: Thou must cheer up

"I can't believe you're making me do this." I muttered to Jamie bitterly as I hauled myself up the window pane.

"Do you not want to make the boyfriend happy?" he questioned as he leaned on my door, making sure Mom wouldn't get a chance to open it.

I didn't comment because I did want to cheer Rex up but, of course, I wouldn't admit to Jamie. Instead, I started to argue again. "If Mom finds out about this---"

"She won't." he assured, cutting me off. I rolled my eyes at him. He smirked. "Well, what are you waiting for? Go get your lover boy!"

"I, seriously, don't take this is a good idea, Ja---"

Tok! Tok! Tok! 

"George, are you eating lunch?" I heard my Mom's voice through the door. I felt nervous all of a sudden.

"No," Jamie answered for me in a high pitched voice. I shot him a glare. I don't sound like that.

"Is something wrong, George?" my Mom asked. "You're voice seems a little---"

"I'm watching Titanic." Jamie responded quickly, adding fake sniffles. I shot him an incredulous look. So, everybody did know that Titanic's my favorite movie.

My Mom was silenced for a minute before she spoke up again. "I'm really sorry I had to punish you like this, George." I was stunned. My Mom never apologized with how she gave her punishments. I opened my mouth to reply but Jamie shot me a pointed look, making me shut my mouth. "I know you're not used to this type of---well, you don't really get in trouble a lot so I hardly give you any punishment but you have to learn your lesson." she stated.

Jamie let out an overly exaggerated breathe before imitating me again to answer. "I understand, Mom." he said again in the dreadful high pitched voice. "But, you have to leave me in my room for a while. I need time to think about my actions." His final statement made me grin since that might be the exact same words I would say.

“Well, if you’re sure sweetie.” she sighed. “Just pop leftovers in the oven if you get hungry.”

“Sure, Mom.” Jamie answered, his high pitch imitation of my voice was making me more annoyed by the minute.

“I do not talk like that.” I mouthed at him. He rolled his eyes in response and waved me off, signaling that I should go. I glared at him and he gave me an exasperated look.

Just go already.” Jamie mouthed back before turning to the door and letting out exaggerated whimpers to showcase my cries for Jack Dawson to my mother.

Turning outside, I sighed. I guess it was time to cheer Rex Parker up. I walked wobbly on the roof as I fought the urge not to look over. I still had my fear of heights. The only reason I handled Laura was because I didn’t look down once. Now, that I was on my own, I don’t know if I would be able to handle it.

Letting out a shaky breathe, I stepped on the branch of the tree that Rex Parker always used when he crossed our houses. I tried to be really calm as I climbed on it and slowly made my way across by stepping on the branches.

Don’t look down. Don’t look down. Don’t look down. Don’t look down. Don’t look down. Don’t look down. Don’t look down.

Key word: tried.

Don’t look down. Don’t look down. Don’t look down. Don’t look down. Don’t look---

Closing my eyes tightly shut, I let out a little whimper when I almost slipped. I grabbed a branch and it steadied me from falling. Opening my eyes, I did the one thing that I knew could be the death of me.