Survival Skill 16: Thou must remove "sweet and innocent" to vocabulary

“And Stan and I went to this cute store where---“ And Violet continued to ramble on as I zoned out on her.

Our Wednesday morning just had to be greeted with this nice story from Violet, right?

Wrong.

Amy was nodding her head, obviously not even listening to a word that Violet was saying but the goofy smile on her face fooled people that she actually was. Joey was texting, clearly not paying attention this time around. I heaved out a sigh, calming myself. I just want her to stop talking. As much as I love her and Stan, listening about their tiring love escapades makes me want to run myself through a freaking wall.

“And we found the cutest couple shirt ever---“Violet continued to squeal excitedly, unaware of her friends’ lack of enthusiasm.

“Good Morning, ladies!” I heard Rex say from beside us. I suppress the urge to jump for joy as Violet stopped talking and gave Rex a happy smile.

“Hey!” Joey chirped, putting her phone in her pocket.

“So, are you ladies going to show support for the big game this Friday?” he asked us, making his way towards me.

“Yeah!” Amy answered quickly. As if we all had the same idea, our heads snapped to her direction. That was weird. Amy’s usually the last girl to answer these---Okay, any kind of questions. “What?” she asked us shyly.

“Why do you seem so excited about a game?” Violet inquired.

“Uh, about that…” she drawled and looked at us. “I’m going to tell you guys something later, okay?"  

Well, it was about time she explained to us why she had been acting so weird lately.

“Sure,” we all answered in unison.

"Awesome!" she beamed. “Well, I’ll see you guys later.” She gave us a shy smile before turning around and walking off.

“Oh, she’s definitely hiding something from us.” Violet commented.

“Yup,” I agreed, popping the p.

“Wonder what it’s about?” Joey interjected.

“I’m not really sur - “ I tried to comment.

“Not that this whole gossip thing isn’t fun,” Rex said with amusement as he hugged me from behind. My back was pressed on his chest and I had to control myself from elbowing him from making too much contact with me again. Physical contact with Rex Parker was never good for my health. “But I’d like you guys to sit in the front row near the player’s benches.” he suggested.

Joey was about to open her mouth to answer him when Patrick walked in. “Hey! Time for practice, bro.” he said to Rex with a football helmet in tow. Noticing Joey, he winked at her. “Hey, Joey!”

Joey rolled her eyes before facing Rex. “We would gladly support you and Nathan for the game.” she said, making all of us fully aware that she didn’t include Patrick.

Patrick scoffed. “You haven’t even thanked me for last Friday.”

Joey turned around and faced him with a sarcastic sweet smile. “Thank you for kidnapping me and dumping me on my ass on my front yard.”

“Hey, at least you got there safely.” he said with a smirk as he tapped Rex on the shoulder, gesturing him that it’s time to go.

“My butt was sore for the weekend.” she added, now, having a grim expression.