Chapter 12

The next morning everyone kind of sleeps in while you all wait for the ship to float its way to the Fire nation. You wake up and look over your shoulder. You can hear Zuko still breathing behind you and to you that's kind of cute. You smile a little and snuggle down into the blanket to try to fall back asleep. It's easy to get comfortable since you like warm temperatures and Zuko is a warm person.

Just before you do Zuko shifts causing you to look at him again. He has rolled over and is now facing you but he's still passed out. Some hair falls onto his face. You smile a little and push the stray piece of stray hair off his face. 'the harmless prince in sleep mode. When he's like this it really does seem like he is how he was back then.'

*flash back*

You are five years old and had been working simple jobs at the palace for two years. Today on your birthday Ozai had decided you were now old enough to do more difficult tasks. You are told you are now in charge of sweeping the floor in every room of the palace. This task normally takes you all day to do with other people but now you were expected to do it by yourself. You were sure you'd be sweeping all day. as you make your way to the main room you see the young prince and his sister, the two had just come back from being outside in the garden and Zuko had brought in some fruits while Azula had brought a bug she was curious about and wanted to show their father.

Azula runs off to show the bug to her dad.

Zuko stays behind and begins eating an apple he brought from outside. He stops when he notices you. "oh... I didn't see you there."

"I'm pretty easy to miss." You reply.

Zuko shrugs. "I didn't know there was kids in the staff. Is your mom a worker here?"

You frown but continue working. "no she died when I was three."

"oh..." Zuko frowns. "what about your dad?"

"I don't know." You reply again.

"oh that's too bad." He pauses for a moment then rushes over to you and smiles. "hey you wanna hang out?"

"I can't I have to finish the floors..." you mumble.

"oh." Zuko frowns. "but that stuff is boring." When you don't answer again he digs out another apple and hands it to you. "here. These are good."

"t-thanks..." you smile a little at the apple as Zuko walks the other way. 'it's hard to picture him as a prince.'

*flashback end*

'even after that he still tried to get me to stop working... it wasn't until about two years later he realized I wasn't just a staff member.' You frown at the thought. 'but he still talked to me... until he got exiled. He seems to have changed but I think Iroh is right... it's just a mask of pain.'

Zuko looks up at you and smiles a little. "I see your awake."

You blush a bit. "y-yeah... so are you."

Zuko nods and stretches his legs. "it would appear so. How did you sleep?"

"oh... pretty good." You reply.

"that's good." Zuko sits up. "I slept great. Best sleep I've had in years." He glances at you. "thanks"

"your welcome?" you look at him questioningly.

"by the way." Zuko stands up and then turns to look at you. "good morning."

You smile a little. Just something about him saying that to you made you happy. "good morning to you too."