Chapter 2

"I just realized I forgot to ask." You say glancing at Zuko. "why were you locked up in the first place?"

Zuko stops walking and turns to look at you, a very unamused frown on his face. "we've been walking for 2 hours, and for 2 hours you have done nothing but talk." He grumbles. "you worked for the palace so I'm sure you understand that I am not in the mood to speak."

You put both hands on your hip. "alright mister grumpy prince." You retort. "but you should know I don't really care much for authority. Just because you used to be my boss doesn't mean you get to boss me around."

Zuko frowns. "your annoying."

"and your ego is bigger than your head." You fire back.

"now you hold up just a minute." He growls pointing at you then for some reason he stops and looks at you skeptically. "hang on... why aren't you at the palace anymore?"

You turn pale. You can't just tell the prince you ran away from your duty to go on a journey of self-discovery.

"my father never would have let you leave." Zuko says taking a step towards you. "did you... sneak out? Are you on the run from the fire nation?"

You frown. "I should have let that bear trap hang you upside down."

"probably." Zuko nods. "but if you're really on the run then why did you follow me knowing if I found out that I would have to arrest you?"

"you're the one following me." you defend. "kind of..." you look behind you and then back at Zuko.

"no your following me." Zuko takes another step towards you. "but I still can't figure out why."

"bye!" you yell and dash into the forest. You can hear Zuko chasing you as you run. You look over your shoulder and see he's really close. "he's fast!" you panic trying to speed up. You encounter a small decline in the rock and slide down it before beginning to run again, Zuko is right behind you.

"hey come back here!" Zuko yells. "you won't get away from me!"

You run deeper into the forest until you come to a stream you jump half way up a tree and grab a vine then as your swinging you cut it so you land on the other side of the stream. You turn out of breath and watch as Zuko is stuck on the other side of the stream and away from you. You smirk. "better luck next time fire prince." You chuckle and begin walking off the other direction.

"damn it!" Zuko growls. "I let her get away." He pauses for a moment to look at the water. "man it was really cool how she jumped into the tree like that... damn it Zuko get your head in the game!" he grumbles frustrated. "I'll never find the avatar at this rate." He sighs. "guess it doesn't matter I wouldn't have wanted to turn her in anyways." He frowns and follows the stream. "at least she led me to this stream hopefully I can follow it and find a village of some kind."

You head mostly the same direction but on the other side of the stream deeper in the tree so Nobody can see you and you can't see Zuko on the other side walking down the stream. Eventually you decide to get closer to the stream and that's when you notice a small village out in the middle of nowhere on the other side of the stream. The village is small and all the huts have straw and leaves for the roofing. "what kind of place sits out in the middle of nowhere off the trails?" you wonder. You collect a drink from the stream and set up a temporary camp in the tree high above the ground.

You sit there for about an hour resting until your stomach growls. "well need to find something to eat." You frown and look around you're not sure if anything in the forest is poisonous so you want to stay clear of things you've never had before. As your looking around the stream for any sign of fish you notice the village again. Since your close now you can see about five huts made of wood with bramble for roofs. "they must have something to eat over there." You wonder.

Not wanting to get caught like the last village you sneak around to a make shift bridge. 'they must be using this tree to cross the stream.' You walk your way across it carefully and then duck behind one of the huts. 'are these people friend or foe?' you wonder looking around. The answer is a big affirmed no when you spot Zuko being led out of the village the other way with his hands tied behind his back with a chain. 'how does that boy keep getting in these situations?' you contemplate not helping since he tried to arrest you but you know you would be able to sleep at night if you let them do whatever it is they are doing. You decide to follow them and see just what they are planning.

"come on is this really necessary?" Zuko growls. "where are you even taking me?" he protests.

"pit." One of the villager says pointing.

"pit?" Zuko questions. "OH THAT PIT! No I don't like pit!" he tries to force himself backwards away from the edge of the pit but there isn't anywhere to go.

"sacrifice the outsider to the pit." The chief calls pointing.

"how about you don't do that." Zuko protests.

You know you could probably save Zuko by taking out the villagers but as misguided they are only doing what they've always done. Their technically innocent even though they are trying to kill Zuko. You take a moment to look around. "time to try my newest trick." You hold out your hand as you allow the shadows to climb over your body. "concealment in shadows." You cover yourself in shadows and pull in a few leafs to wear on your head. Then you walk across the trees branches that over stretch the pit. 'if I time this just right I can grab him and get to freedom.' You tie a long vine around your waste and the other end secure to the branch.

Zuko is pushed closer to the edge and his foot slips. "how do I keep getting myself in these kinda of situations." He slips backwards off the edge and the villagers cheer.

At the moment you leap out of the tree and grab him by the feet. Pulling him along with you as the vein snaps and swings you back towards the edge of the pit. The entire way Zuko screams like a little girl. When you reach the upward swing you cut the vine and stick a ten point landing with Zuko in your arms still screaming. He is terrified and you chuckle and drop him on the ground.

Zuko falls on the ground on his back staring up at you. "you came back?!"

You undo the chain and Zuko stands up. "I almost didn't." you reply coldly. "your intolerable and a jerk... but I can't just stand by and let them toss you into a pit."

Zuko smirks a tiny bit. "you scared me to death... you couldn't have saved me a different way?"

"not one that didn't injure the villagers." You nod. "what's the big deal though your fine."

"yeah I guess." Zuko frowns.

"I'm not going back so don't even ask." You say turning away from Zuko. "I don't want to serve your family my whole life. I want freedom. I need to figure out who I am."

"that's fine." Zuko replies. "I'll give you a pass since you saved my life but... I was never going to turn you into my dad in the first place." He crosses his arms. "right now I'm an outcast as much as you are. My dad burned my face and then exiled me. the only thing that can restore my honor is if I find the avatar."