Rex

Banner Picture by reignbows

Companion Song:
Teenage Dream by Katy Perry
________________________________________
Let's go all the way tonight
No regrets, just love
We can dance, until we die
You and I, will be young forever
________________________________________

"Akuma!" I shout as I enter the nearly empty boys' hallway on the third floor of the Ketu dormitories. I walk past the bare stone walls which are layered with benign mildew just like the girls' side, but compared to the floors occupied by the first and second year Ketu students below, I think they are pretty clean. The rooms are mostly empty because everyone has gone to the courtyard for the second round of the tag tournament, and most of our team is probably already on the field. I overslept, and Murie left me a note telling me to bring Akuma.

I bang on his door. He doesn't open it, so I bang again. I can hear him shuffling inside, but he seems like he needs a little more encouragement, so I bang one more time as loud as I can without breaking it down. Finally, he cracks the door open and looks outside with half closed eyes and a yawn. His eyes are red like he didn't have a good night's rest, and I don't blame him for it. Part of me wants to let him stay asleep, but we need him in the match and he needs to get out of his room and away from his dejected thoughts.

"Let's go, the game starts in a few minutes!" I say as cheerily as I can.

He grumbles an uncommitted "okay" while he scratches his bare chest.

"Stop touching your muscles, and let's go before Murie gets angry!" I tell him a little more strictly.

When I mention Murie's name, he opens his eyes wider and lets his head drop down with a deep exhale. "Okay," he says again but with more commitment. "Just let me take a quick shower."

"Alright, hurry up!" I say shooing him towards the bathroom.

He ignores my adorable attempts at getting him to hurry, but he does grab his towel and head toward the showers, so I don't yell at him.

As I wait for him to come back from what he assured me was going to be a quick pit stop, I see Mark run out of his room, checking his watch. I move to the side against the wall so he can get by, but he slows to a stop when he notices me.

"Hey," he says with an awkward smile that just makes me feel awkward too.

"Hi," I manage to say without making it sound too quizzical.

"I'm sorry about going off on you the other day in detention," he apologizes, "I didn't drink any blood that day, so I was just annoyed at everything. That's how I ended up in detention in the first place."

The hunger, I know it too well from the rest of my family who get irritable whenever they haven't had blood in a while. Every so often I get the feeling it affects me, too, but I don't need the blood, at least not yet. "It's fine; I get it," I tell him.

He gives me another apologetic smile, and I can see his canines are already noticeably longer than his other teeth. I look up at his eyes and see that the irises are sharp red. It almost feels like he wants another taste of blood so I take a careful step back.

"I'll see you on the field," I say.

Mark shakes his head, and I see the red disappear from his eyes. When he talks again, his teeth are all the same size. "Just had breakfast; I'm still digesting, sorry," he says before running out towards the field.

I start to think about what will happen to me after I die. My memories of the blood rage and hunger of the vampires I know makes me want to never become one of them. But I am one of them. Or, I will be as soon as I die. I just don't know if I want it to happen. I could easily get Old Rev. Tom to stop it like so many others do, but a part of me feels like that would be denying who I am. I'm not like Mark. I wasn't born human, even if I am basically a human before my rebirth. I come from the single ancient line of blue vampires who were the first of our kind, long before violets existed, so the blood sucking and killing and immortal life are a part of who I am. Aren't they?