Rex

Companion Song:
Hold Me Down by Halsey
________________________________________
Selfish, taking what I want and call it mine
I'm helpless, clinging to a little bit of spine
They rush me, telling me I'm running out of time
They shush me (shh), walking me across a fragile line
________________________________________

"But I really need to see him," I plead with the academy's secretary in the entrance hall of the castle.

She almost sounds like she's grunting when she sighs and repeats, "The headmaster is in a meeting. I already told you he'll be out once he's done." She points to the fancy couches next to the detailed tapestries in the waiting area expecting me to give up, but she doesn't understand how important this is.

So I try again, "But you have to let me see him!" I stomp my foot to control my frustration.

This time she rolls her eyes before glaring at me, and it flusters me even though I know she isn't the type to actually do anything about it. I take a deep breath to try and figure out a way to convince her to let me see the headmaster right now. I think about running past her, but even if I make it past the real looking statues of ents and up the stairs to the staff offices, I'd still have to run across the hall and around a corner before I reach the offices of the administrators. And that's if Ms. Haliwel doesn't just stop me with magic.

This would be so much easier if I was a true vampire, I tell myself.

"But-" I start to say again before Vicemaster York's voice cuts me off from behind.

"Ivy Wiles, what brings you to this end of the castle?" he asks.

I turn to see him walking in with a few staff members and an investigator, who go off in their own direction as he comes closer. He's not dressed in his usual suit and tie. Instead, he's wearing a ceremonial robe and a pointed hat that's almost as tall as him.

"Trouble with classes," he pauses to scratch his cheek before continuing in a softer voice, "Or perhaps something related to Mr. Troffel's... incident?" He raises his eyebrows at me and puts a hand on my back, leading me away from Ms Haliwel's desk.

I see her mouthing "thank you" at him, but I ignore it. I have more important things to do than worry about some annoying secretary who couldn't even do the simplest thing for me in an emergency.

"Sit," the vicemaster says gently while using his arm to show me the couch in the waiting area.

I sigh, but I don't make it drawn out or anything disrespectful. Vicemaster York is one of the few adults at Pionscor who actually treats the students like we're not dumb babies, and he's definitely one of the few who are friendly to Ketu Style. Most of the others are standoffish even if they aren't mean, much like the way magical society treats vampiric, therianthropic, and chimeric people.

The vicemaster also pulls up an ottoman across from me to sit down. "Now, what's the urgency that requires badgering Ms. Haliwel with repeated questions?" he asks in a way that sounds both concerned and chiding.

"I just need to see Headmaster Grundel," I mumble.

He nods and takes off his pointed hat, but he keeps his eyes on my face and doesn't say anything.

"I... it... I just... about Rex. I-" I stutter, and he cuts me off as soon as he hears Rex's name.

Getting up, he tells me to follow him and leads me past Ms. Haliwel and up the stairs to the offices. He waddles past the coffee room where a few workers are talking, waiting for the brew to finish heating. I slowly take my steps behind him, watching my teal chucks carefully so I don't step on his heels.