Akuma

Companion Song:
Her (Loving You) by Glades
________________________________________
You stopped my heart
Made it an echo of
Time gone by
Pulling the strings again
You make me cry
You make me scream
But love is holding me to you

________________________________________  

I look for Harriet in the Harpy common room on the southeast side of the castle. Her room is on the fifth floor where all the fifth years live, but I have to wait outside because the dorm hallways are restricted to students from other Styles unless there's a Harpy student accompanying us.

Compared to the Ketu common area it's huge, but it feels even bigger because there are barely any Harpy students around. Most of them are either outside enjoying what's left of their weekend or in the library cramming to get their homework done in time.

I sit down on a chair near a boy and a girl I don't know. They are talking to each other in low voices and giggling like idiots, but when I ask them which hallway has Harriet's room in it, they just give me a scowl and ignore me.

I decide to find a better way to keep my mind occupied, so I walk to the window and stare out at the view. I'm used to seeing Star Lake on the west side of the castle from the Ketu dorms and the north side of the castle by being out in the courtyard, so it's nice to see the hills rolling away from us into the mist that separates Pionscor from the nearest city.

I feel almost calm watching the sky darken, but a hand on my shoulder scares me. I have to catch my breath when I realize it's just Harriet.

She looks like my jump made her jump, too, but her puffy eyes without makeup stick out the most to me. It's like she's taking it as hard as I am. I've never seen her look anything but perfectly together before, so I don't even feel my usual urge to call her a bitch.

It takes me a while to say something, especially because Harriet doesn't say a word either. She doesn't change her expression at all. And I can't help but think, Why wouldn't she be taking it harder than me? She's the one that dated him for a long time. She's the one he fell in love with and got a tattoo of.

I mumble something about sitting down, and start to walk to the nearest table, but she stops me. She pulls me towards the hallway and to her room. I get the feeling she doesn't want to be outside right now.

Harriet is the last person I wanted to ask for help, especially after our last conversation, but she is literally the last person I have left to ask. And at least I know she cares enough about Rex to hear me out.

I start talking before I even sit down in the chair she hands me, "Rex is alive! You have to help me save him! He's being tortured, and we nee-"

She cuts me off with the most unbelievable look on her face. I know what she's thinking, what everyone else thought, that I'm crazy, but I ignore her. I have to at least try to convince her to help me.

"We need to find him and make it stop! I know he's alive! I swear I'm not crazy. I'm not making this up. You're the only one who can help me. Please!" I beg.

"Are you seriously doing this right now?" she asks me with a disgusted look on her face, "You couldn't just let me work this out in peace?"

I should never have come to her, I think. But I have no one left.

"I... I know it sounds weird, but... but I can feel it. I.. I just know!" I plead with her, "I just know Rex needs help." I'm sniffling again and I can feel the tears falling down my cheeks.

Harriet's expression softens, but she doesn't say anything. I can't believe I'm crying in front of her again. I can't believe I'm crying at all again, after I used up all my tears before. Where are these coming from?