Harriet

Companion Song:
Misery Business by Paramore
________________________________________
I waited eight long months,
She finally set him free.
I told him I couldn't lie he was the only one for me.
Two weeks we caught on fire,
She's got it out for me,
But I wear the biggest smile.
________________________________________

The next morning, I wake before the sun is out. I'm still buzzing with excitement over Rex agreeing to join me for the welcome back concert. For a minute, I lose myself in thoughts of his elegant frame and warm smile, the way he leans to the right when he stands, and how cute his meek confidence is.

I check the sand clock on my dresser and realize there's not enough time to fall back asleep before having to get up again, so I stare out the window. The gibbous moon is shining bright, and there is some movement in the hills beyond the forest of trees. I realize it's the creatures getting ready for the start of the day.

A part of me wonders what it would be like to run through the woods and hunt prey to feast on. But a part of me wants nothing to do with the cursed lifestyle of my bloodsucking heritage. I tell myself that I can easily have Reverend Thomas cast a spell today to get rid of that part of me forever like so many of my ancestors, but I can't bring myself to throw away the gifts of a blue vampire. Luckily, I don't have to decide yet. I don't plan on dying anytime soon, and if I don't die, I won't be reborn as a true vampire.

I keep watching the faraway movements on top of the hills while the sunlight begins to creep up. I hear the other students starting to move in their rooms, so I step away and jump into the shower before anyone can steal all the heated water.

I end up taking an extremely long shower, so I don't see anyone around when I get out. I hurry up and get dressed in black jeans and a Ketu white tunic with a large symbol of a four-armed snake-like reptile on the back.

With my uniform on, I quickly brush my dark hair, making sure that the red and purple streaks are positioned perfectly. I grab my bag and rush to breakfast hoping there is still enough food left to get me to lunch.

In the dining hall, I ignore the crowd of Wyvern students being served specially prepared meals and walk towards one of the side walls where the common buffet is set up. A few Harpy Style kids cut in front of me when I bend down to tie my shoe, but I don't say anything. There's enough food left.

With my plate full of cold hash browns and a thick banana crepe, I head over to the middle of the hall farthest from the food where the Ketu students are corralled. Murie and Akuma are laughing while poking their soggy waffles with their fingers.

"What the hell are you guys doing?" I ask.

Akuma keeps digging his fingers into the wells of the breakfast food.

Murie looks up with a sinister smile on her face while licking her finger. "Akuma hexed the waffle so every time we poke it, one of the Wyvern kids' food gets mashed a little."

"You guys are ridiculous," I reprimand them with an amused smile before turning around to see if any of the Wyverns notice something wrong with their food.

"Watch the one in the full green. With the short hair," Akuma says, pointing to a student being served Eggs Benedict. I recognize him as one of the kids in the group that pranked me yesterday.

I keep a close eye on him as Akuma pushes his finger onto the waffle. The boy's Eggs Benedict suddenly develop a huge dent before rolling off the side of the plate right onto his lap. The boy stands up with a shout and tried to wipe off the stain on his pristine uniform, but it's useless. The Hollandaise has left its mark.