She-Ra's tell All - I Need Ideas!

I need ideas!!!...

          It amazes me the amount of times I see this written on the forum, I for one must be very lucky because I’m never short of them, in fact I have to tell my brain to stop with the new story ideas.

          One question I see a lot is how people began to think of their story.

         I believe there are two types of writers, a fly by their pants type of writer that just writes what they think will come next, (I started off as one of these) and then there are the planners—the ones that write down every scene that’s going to happen. (I’m not at this point yet but have written the endings now). Yeah Avalon readers I do know who she is going to end up with lol.

          I started my stories on an simple thought, I think Talon came from watching Frankenstein lol… but something in that old movie caught me and I thought mmmm wonder what it would be like to have a super race of werewolves—ones that were made for vengeance but kind of evolved themselves into a more sinister thing.

          For Avalon, I just started writing what I know, what I love. Stories I’ve heard and people I know mashed together, in fact Avalon herself is a mixture of people I know and my alter ego; the one that would love nothing but to give people some good old what for… some sharp witty comebacks maybe paired with an uppercut but the outer me never lets her.

          What one is easier to write? Avalon for sure, I don’t even have to think about it, it just comes out because I know the content I’m writing about. If people can’t cotton on to the fact I love horses from that book I’m an even worse writer than a thought.

          Talon is hard because it’s a fantasy book and really I’m going to go into territory I don’t know about… it’s all imagination and I will tell you a truth here. Imagination can get bloody tiring and really tedious unless it’s really living in you to come out. Talon was for me… but as it gets in to the nitty gritty it’s sometimes a slog. I wish I had planned it from the beginning.

          I was reading a message form the writer of ‘The Pirates’ kiss,” which is one of my fave stories on wattpad, she hadn’t updated for months… why? Because she said the story was basically a hard f&^(ing slog! Like a drain and her friend literally had to pull her into line to get her back to even thinking about writing it some more and that’s from a writer that has imagination like you wouldn’t believe.

          So for beginner writer’s this would be my advice. Write what you know, because it’s easier and you can put yourself in the characters shoes with ease. It will be relatable and believable. Because it will be built on your life experiences there’s only a small risk of writers block.

          If you want it to be good, be you, write about something which you love because your passion will shine through and that’s in my opinion what readers are looking for. Something that is unique and full of feeling.  For me it’s horses, really strong feisty female characters, the belief that all is possible and humor.  

          What’s yours?

          Next week we may… haven’t made up my mind yet but delve into creating a scene and making it believable.