Investigative Tips - Writing Tools

Writer’s tools

So, we’ve been over where to look for ideas. Now what to write with!

Nothing beats the old pen and paper, a scrapbook and cork board with lots of coloured string. But when it comes to digitising and editing a few hundred of hand written pages, it can be a little daunting. No, I have experience. It’s a nightmare! But I became very good at typing on a keyboard!

After entering 200’000 words into Microsoft Word I began to look for ways to keep my stories on track. It was a great way of editing out some of the nonsense written due to utilizing an editing step! To rewrite it. Not an experience I wish to do again! And no, I still haven’t finished editing it…

The following are programs I’ve discovered. I’ve included three of each. Yes, that equals six. Six great programs with a small description, pro’s and con’s in sections of paid and free! Everybody like free. So I’m going to start with free.

YWriter

Written by an Aussie programmer and writer who also has a great writing site if you have time to check it out. Simon Haynes, Spacejock novels and software.

YWriter5 was my first program off MS Word. It’s a simple program which allows writers to write. Nah, Der. But it also keeps track of plot, character, items and location and organising the chapter and scenes. It’s a program with minimal distractions and simple to use, once you get a hang of it.

Pro’s

Free! Writing without many distractions Keep track of characters, location and items Create a plot with notes, chapters and scenes Easy to use

Con’s

Some other program interactions that work with MS Word that don’t like to play the game. Copy and paste importing from Word looses italics. It has to be done by the file import, which adds a new chapter and gets a little messy.

 It’s a great program and I still use it from time to time.

 Open Office

A free alternative to Microsoft Word.

Those who don’t have access to Microsoft Word, Open Office is a great alternative. It doesn’t have the amount of tools MS Word possesses, though it is enough to get a writer by.

 Pro’s

Free! Simple to use (Unless you expect things to be in the same place as MS Word, then good luck finding them =) Still has the dictionary and spell checking tools Interacts with DOC files Auto save feature

 Con’s

Confusing for MS Word veterans Not as powerful as MS Word in the editing department Doesn’t work with Ginger. Love that program…

So if debating to buy Microsoft, OO Writer is good enough. Especially if you’re already good at grammar and sentence structure, spelling, like I’m not!

The Timeline project

This is one I just started to play with to find a free alternative to Aeon Timeline. Which is mentioned further down in this article.

The program is great for setting out the timeline or plot of your project and what you’re many characters do where.

I use these programs for plot outlining and find them very handy to go back to when writing.

Pro’s

Free! Yay. Colours for different options Simple to use Exporting options

Con’s

Doesn’t track characters like Aeon. Which is disappointing. Not as writer friendly as Aeon.

 Paid

Scrivener

Scrivener is a program built for writers to keep track of the plot and write! Can be used for many different projects, fiction or non-fiction and exports to other programs for editing.

Pro’s

Keeps track of everything with keywords and even editing with the snapshot option. Make notes, track scenes, timelines and shuffle scene cards of a virtual cork board. Handles and stores research, images and files.

Con’s

Not Free! (A discount code has been available during Nanowrimo and is a great incentive to win the 50k challenge) Export. I just don’t like it. Might be me, but I think it’s difficult as hell! Not so easy to use and can be confusing, but once learned, it is a very powerful tool.

 Don’t let the con’s talk you out of it all. It is a great program. I’m just lazy when it comes to entering information and keeping track of edits. All my work goes to MS Word eventually  so I don’t use the program to its full potential.

Microsoft Word

Need I say more. This is the main program I use. If you haven’t been paying attention.

I use it for writing and especially editing.

My favourite feature would have to be the auto save. I don’t know now many times I’ve panicked thinking I’ve lost most of my writing or editing work.

 Pro’s

Works with add on tools for editing Easy to work with. And most schools teach student how to use it. DOC and TXT files used with other programs

 Con’s

Costs Monies Doesn’t track characters or edits or it would be all I use.

Aeon Timeline

Another Aussie developer, Yay! This timeline program costs, but is well worth the money. Like Scriverner, a discount code could be won during Nanowrimo, another great incentive to write!

It’s the best plotting tool I’ve found. Other than a bare wall and lots of paper. It allows a writer to track and organize characters and their movements.

In the Mac version, these outlines can be imported into scrivener, though not yet into the windows version, which is the one I use. I can’t wait for the update! If anyone uses this and Mac, I really want to know if it’s any good!

Pro’s

Easy to use Massive amount of time and organization options Customised timelines. Perfect for fantasy worlds. Tracks everything

 Con’s

Can get confusing at first The windows update hasn’t been released yet! Grr.

So, they are my writing tools. I hope you found something helpful and you can use to track your own writing.

 @ConniByron