Dr. Fate's Bestiary - The Vampire

A Simple Guide to the Weird and Wonderful

*NOTE: This is a guide, not a factual bible of information. Use the information contained within this bestiary to help you form your own conclusions on the creatures that I am going to talk about. Since most of these creatures are fictional the myths are up to interpretation. I will try to include as many of these interpretations as I can.*

The Vampire

         The Vampire: a creature known to the modern world as a blood sucking, seductress. However, this was not always the case. The vampire started as a much smaller threat than they were perceived as in the fiction of today.

          The name “Vampire” did not actually into the English language until the 18th Century, yet the alternate spelling of the word (Vampyre) is noted to have been in use at an earlier time. Even though the word did not exist until then within the English language, there are many other languages who had their own word that referenced the blood sucking creature (most have adapted the western name within the modern times). It is believed that the English word came from the French “Vampyre” or the German “Vampir” which in turn were derived from the Serbian word вампир” (Vampir).

          This Serbian word has parallels in almost all languages of the Ancient world, which can lead to the assumption that the Vampire (unlike the Werewolf discussed previously) was a common concept throughout the Ancient world. The concept is covered from the America’s to Europe and even carried across to Asia; each civilisation of the world has their own interpretation of the Vampire

          Unlike Werewolves however, there is no clear defined terms that splits the different variants of Vampires. They are split more by the traits that they possess and the time period that they come from.

          A folklore Vampire (which will now be referred to as Vampyre, for easy separation) was the reanimated corpse of a recently deceased person. They would return from beyond the grave to terrify their neighbourhoods and families. Ways these Vampyre’s were created were usually contributed to the body being inhabited by evil spirits or being bitten by another Vampyre (Witches were also a suspected cause).

          Unlike the Modern Vampire, the Vampyre was noted as looking much more like a corpse. They were bloated and tended to be purplish in colour, which was generally contributed to the recent consumption of blood. The hair, nails and teeth might have grown slightly. In fact dripping blood from the mouth and nose was a common described feature. When one of them was seen in its shroud or coffin, the left eye would always be open. Unlike the Modern Vampire, Fangs were not common.

          The Vampyre shared a few traits with the more modern Vampire, such as the ability to reproduce via a bite. They also possessed enhanced strength, an unnatural healing ability and some telekinetic ability (It should be noted that the North American Vampyre has more in common with a modern Vampire). They do however share many of the weakness of the modern Vampire; a stake in the heart, decapitation, drowning, fire, garlic and holy symbols are all weakness of the Vampyre.

          By the end of the 19th Century the Vampyre had suffered a similar fate to that of the Werewolf. It has been reduced from a terrifying legend to a fictional villain to be expanded on and twisted by the authors of the day. This of course would lead to the Modern Vampire.

        The Modern “Vampire” owes most of it traits to Bram Stoker, who crafted the template Vampire, Dracula. Unlike the folklore versions of this particular creature, Dracula was relatively good looking and instead of annoying neighbourhoods or family, he actively sought victims to consume and extend his own life. He used seduction and other clever tactics to achieve this goal. They also lacked a reflection or a shadow, making them easier to detect. Female Vampires of Bram Stokers creation are noted as being “beautiful to the point of hypnotic”.

          Unlike the Vampyre, Dracula possessed many traits. This includes the traits of the Vampyre (minus telekinesis) and is expanded on by the additions of; Immortality, super senses, enhanced speed, flight, shape shifting, telepathy and an array of further powers along the lines of hypnosis.

          Dracula did share the weakness of the Vampyre, but there were a few additions. Dracula’s powers were weakened by sunlight and he was unable to cross running water. A final weakness that was added in order to give protagonists a defence against Dracula was the fact that he is unable to enter a property without an invitation.

          Once again like Werewolves there are shared traits between the two versions of Vampires that allow you to trace the origins of the creature (especially since it was not called a Vampire in most cultures) Yet unlike the Werewolf were both versions are still in popular use, the traditional Vampire had been long since forgotten by the writers of today.

Summary Rule Set for Vampires (Traditional and Modern):

·        Superior Strength and Regeneration

·        The Ability to turn another person into a Vampire via a bite

·        Weaknesses to Stake to the heart, Decapitation, Drowning, Fire, Garlic and Holy Symbols.

Additional Rules for Traditional Vampires:

·        Minor Telekinesis

·        Appearance of a being purplish and bloated

Additional Rule for Modern Vampire (Bram Stoker base):

·        Superior Speed, Senses, Flight, Shape Shifting and Hypnosis

·        A relatively attractive appearance

·        Weakness to Running Water

·        Need to be Invited in

Addition Rules for Modern Vampires (Non-Bram Stoker Base):

·        Psychic powers and Pyrokinesis

          There are many different types of Vampire. I have only looked at two here, though I will come back at a later date to discuss some more of the obscure variants covered within North American and Asian Folklore.