Villains

Villains, they're the reason why a book has its purpose. Whether it's a villain in a sci-fi novel, fantasy, or even just a really powerful businessman/woman, people seem to forget that they're, well, people (unless the book is about aliens or animals or some other creature, then just ignore this part).

Writers seem to forget villains see themselves as people who do things that will benefit them and others in their surroundings. Most of the time, they see themselves as the hero, while the actual protagonist sees the evil they do. The problem, however, is how writers portray them. Usually, an author will accidentally overpower their villain, so when it's time to defeat them, the author is stuck and ends up killing them off in a really idiotic way. When the protagonist defeats them, the resolution could've happened ages ago. For example, the villain could immortal, is the strongest person in the world, only cares about themselves, can turn into a dragon, and they die by getting stabbed in the leg.

"Why, and how?" you may ask. The author's explanation is that his leg was the only part that wasn't immortal because they thought, "Hey, it's my leg! No one's going to go after it!"

What the actual f-

Anyway, other times the villain's reason for being bad is always the same: family problems. Let me give you examples.

Tom Riddle/Voldemort: His mother died and his father was a Muggle (although he had other reasons too.)

Hunter Zolomon (CW): His dad shot his mom.

Rhea (from Supergirl): Her son fell in love with a Kryptonian.

There are so many other villains that I can name who've had family problems as their reason for becoming a villain, but let's keep it short and simple. Really, if you're going to have a villain, do some research to make them unique. Don't overpower them, don't underpower them, and don't make them an orphan unless it's crucial.