Victor who had yet to speak, stood up and addressed Isabella.  “What I know is that your husband had a vision.  A vision that I shared with him.  We are superior to the human maggots that walk the streets and the ones that get turned are only a step above them in my eyes.  I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again- we should be the ruling class.  We should not be hiding under our cloaks of night.  The humans should learn to cower and bow in our presence.  If this girl is truly the one that the prophecy speaks of then she should be exterminated.”

    “Thank you,” Isabella interrupted with a big smile on her face.  At least one person around here was seeing the light.

    “But,” Victor held up his hand to show her that he wasn’t quite finished and the smile started to fall from Isabella’s face. 

    “But,” he repeated, “I think we need to be able to prove that this girl is the one that the prophecy speaks of before we issue an execution.”  His beady black eyes locked onto Isabella’s.  “She is bound to a royal which means that she can breed.  I am not inclined to kill a female that has the capacity to stretch our line.”

    “But Tatiana could do the same thing Victor.”  Isabella was getting desperate now.  She had to make them understand.  She had to make them see.  Leo belonged with Tatiana, not the human waste.  Why couldn‘t they just do what she asked of them? 

    She reigned in what was left of her control and looked to Marko for some assistance.  “She and Leo could start a pure line that our generation would be safe to see us through in the future.  Any spawn with the human is nothing more than a half-breed and I for one, will not lay claim to any of them.  Would you?”

    Marko looked away from her.  “We can do this one of two ways.  We could summon her in for questioning and determine whether or not she is the one that the Prophecy speaks of or we can issue the girls immediate execution.  Why don’t we put this to a vote fellows.  All in favor of the summons, say I.”

    Three simultaneous ‘I’s’ sounded in the room. 

    “No!” Isabella raged, throwing her hands up in the air.  “You can’t agree to this.  Don’t you see? She has to be executed.  Leo will never let you near her.”

    Very calmly, Alex leaned back in his chair and stroked the goatee on his chin.  He openly stared at his dead best friends wife and couldn’t get over how out of control she was.  It was high time that she saw the situation for was it really was.  “And if you think that Leo is going to act that way about his Bride, then what does that tell you Mrs. Risso?”

    She dropped her voice so low that it almost sounded menacing.  “You can’t seriously be suggesting that this human is the right one for my son Alex, are you?  You know as well as I do how important lineage and blood is to our kind.  He needs to bind himself with Tatiana.”

   “Isabella?” Victor walked over and took her hands in his.  “Leo is already bound, you need to accept this.  Until she is brought here and questioned, she is to be treated as a Royal.  One with respect.  That is the least we can do to honor your husband‘s memory.”

    “No!” She screamed and stomped her foot.  “You’ve all gone mad.  Completely and utterly mad.  My Albert would never have allowed this to happen.”  She spun around in a frantic frenzy.  “You’re just jealous,” she wildly accused.  “Your jealous because my Albert was the leader of the Counsel.  You don’t want my Leo to take his rightful place.”

    “No, that isn’t true,” Alex said, not bothering to get up.  “We loved and respected Albert Risso.  He was a brilliant man and would have done anything for our race.  We are only awaiting the day that Leo will step into his shoes.”