Chapter 1

“Blood Bound”

2011 © All Rights Reserved

Chapter 1

It was well after dark when ten year old Shelby Tanner had started her journey home.  She had no doubts that her mom and dad were going to be very angry with her for waiting so long to leave.  Time after time they had warned her to be home before the sun made its final decent. 

It wasn't her fault though.  Her best friend, Chris couldn’t handle the fact that a girl had beaten him not twice, but three times at the Super Mario Brothers game.  It was Chris that insisted she play that third game therefore making her late.  He said that it was only fair to give him one more shot at beating her.  But now, with the darkness firmly set in, she was going to be the one in so much trouble.

'Bad things happen when the sun goes down cupcake, you must always be home before the sun sets, no exceptions’ Shelby recalled the stern words her father had told her just before she left home earlier that afternoon.

With that warning in mind she pedaled her shiny new pink Barbie bike down the old dirt road as fast as her little legs would take her, her blond pony tail swinging with the wind.  She was almost home, she thought to herself, just a little more.  If she was lucky maybe she could sneak in and her parents wouldn’t even know that she stayed out past sunset.

With her plan set Shelby put all her focus into getting her self home.  She was making fast tracks down the road and was so intent on her final destination that she didn’t even hear the rev of an engine coming up from behind her.  One minute she was huffing and moving her legs in perfect synchronization and the next she was hearing the yell of screeching tires closing in on her.

Shelby glanced over her shoulder just in time to see the large black truck barreling in her direction with the speed of a bullet.  “Oh no” she screamed letting go of the handle bars on her pretty new bike just in time to cover her face. 

Pain.  Shelby was hurting all over.  Her toes, her fingers and even her skin hurt. Small whimpers escaped her tiny mouth as she lay there in the grass with her face tilted up to the darkened sky.  Daddy had told her.  Daddy warned her that bad things happen and sure enough, something bad did.

She was a naughty girl and now she was going to die.  Shelby could feel it in her bones and she didn’t want to die.  There were so many things that she hadn’t done yet.  She wanted her first kiss.  She wanted to be able to go to an R rated movie.  She even hated the fact that she hadn’t had her first period yet.  Now, she would have none of those things because Shelby was feeling weaker by the second.  Her life was slowly draining from her as she lay so still in the grass and writhed in pain.

“Sssh, little one” a distant voice spoke from somewhere above Shelby.  The voice was deep and melodic and strangely enough, calming.  She didn’t feel scared or threatened of whom ever was near her, she just felt safe.

Shelby desperately tried several times to open her eyes and see where the soothing voice was coming from but her small broken body had long since stopped cooperating with her.

“Who..who…are you?” she managed to spit the words out between panting breaths.