Chapter 20

“Blood Bound”

2012 Copyright All Rights Reserved

Chapter 20

    Shelby laid on her side and staring intently at Leo’s sleeping form.  For the last hour she had watched him, studying his astute handsome features and was still drinking in every line, every curve that her eyes rested on.  

    His square lined jaw jutted out at the perfect angle, making him seem regal in appearance.  His long, dark lashes curled up, softening his stern face.  His blackened, silk hair spilled across his forehead, highlighting his creamy, pale like complexion and she knew that when he opened his eyes, those eyes that reflected the midnight sky, he could steal her breath with just one look.

    Oh yeah, this man was definitely handsome and she was sitting here, lying beside him after they share some pretty explicit, intimate moments.

    Her cheeks flushed with heat at the memory.  The way that his hands touched her body, the way that his mouth kissed her all over and the way that he filled her was beyond words.  He drove her to the clouds and back with all of the pertinent skill of an accomplished veteran.

    Sated and relaxed, they were now back in his chambers, tucked away in his bed. When she first woke, she found herself clad in one of his silk button up shirts and she couldn’t quite recall exactly how they had transported from the sands of the beach to the Egyptian cotton sheets of his bed.  And if she was being honest with herself, she didn’t really care.  She was just content being with Leo.  

    “What are you thinking about so hard my sweet?”

    His deep voice melted over her like warmed honey.  His knowing eyes popped opened and Leo tilted his head so that he was facing her.  Lifting his hand, he lightly caressed her cheek with the back of his hand.

    Shelby could only sit there and continue to watch him.  It never ceased to amaze her at how tender and gentle he was with her.  This giant of a man who always wore this impenetrable façade, looked at her with softest of faces.  

    “Talk to me,” he urged in a voice just barely above a whisper.  He turned his hand around and cupped her cheek.  “What’s going on in that head of yours?”

    She smiled.  “Can’t you just look and see?”

    Leaning forward, he pressed a kiss on the tip of her nose.  “Yes,” he agreed, “I could but-” he paused and leaned back on the pillow, “I want you to tell me.  I want to give you your privacy, but I want you to be open to me too.  Can you do that?”

    The corner of her mouth twitched.  She was still working to process all of this new stuff that had happened to her over the last week.  Things such as the fact that she was now a vampire, the fact that her friend was a supposed witch and then there was that whole deal with the prophecy.  

    It wasn’t every day that a girl learned that she was supposed to be the one to save humanity.   That wasn’t small change, that was more like the millions of dollars.

    “Shelby?”  He never once raised his voice to her but the quiet command in his undertone told her that he wouldn’t let this go until she talked to him.

    Softly sighing, she flipped over on her back and stared up at the ceiling.  “Life,” she told him simply, “And how different it all is now.”

    “Mmm, go on.”  He lazily dropped his hand from her cheek and settled it on her arm.  In slow, soothing motions, he ran his hand up and down her arm, awakening certain feelings in her body that she was un-prepared for.