Chapter 24

“Blood Bound”

2012 Copyright All Rights Reserved

Chapter 24

     Shelby couldn’t believe what she was doing.  She squeezed her eyes closed, waited a long minute and then opened them again.  She wasn’t sure exactly what she hoped would happen by closing her eyes, it just seemed like a really good thing to do at the time, considering the alternative.  The big problem remained though, when she opened her eyes, she still felt it.  On the one hand, her mind rebelled against what she was seeing.  But on the other, her body was getting crazy turned on and she didn’t think that was such a good thing.  

     “This is insane,” she mumbled to herself, watching Leo feed from some drunken man that unfortunately made the mistake of shouting out several crude remarks to her when they passed by. It took Leo all of about ten whole seconds to put him under his mind control, walk him to the alley and sink his fangs into the pulse point of his neck.

     The gurgling sound that Leo made as he dined on the man’s life essence made her stomach churn, round and round.  It also made her own gums ache for need and her breast ache from want. She tried to force herself to look away but she couldn’t.  Her gaze was so focused on Leo and his prey that she couldn’t even bat an eyelash.  Instead, she found herself anticipating his next move.

     “Focus on me, my sweet.  Focus on what you’re feeling, what your body is telling you.  Take those feelings and let the beast come out.  I’m keeping my promise, although I don’t really think he deserves it.  This one will not die by my hand on this night.”

     Leo’s words whispered through her mind  She closed her eyes again and took a deep breath, forced her mind to zero in on Leo and then turned that same intense focus to everything that she was feeling inside of her.  The building need, the heightening want.  She tried really hard to keep her mind there but in the background, she heard another gag-worthy slurp and bile crept up her throat.  This wasn’t working.  

     “No!” Leo all but yelled out in her mind.  “Me, Shelby.  Come back to me, feel the hunger that burns inside of you.”

     She gasped at the sudden demand.  She was trying- really, really trying, but she just couldn’t get around the fact that he was killing another so he could live.  It wasn’t right in her mind.

     She felt fingers grab a hold of her chin.  Hard fingers with a gentle touch.  “Look at me Shelby.  Open your eyes and see me.”

     She swallowed hard, her throat burning with the hunger that simmered inside of her.  She opened up those eyes and peered into the bottomless pits of Leo’s gaze.  “He’s not dead.  I kept my promise, now I need you to keep yours.”

    Leo ripped open his shirt, and slashed his talon like fingernail across his chest.  “Feed,” he said, pulling her closer to him.  Take what you need and let my life essence sustain you.”

    Shelby’s gaze locked onto the red river that was snaking down the length of his chest.  Bright red crimson, tempting her in a sinuous glide as it moved further and further down his body.  Her gums throbbed as her fangs elongated, her tongue thickened with a thirst that begged to be quenched. The fight inside of her was over before it ever truly began.

    Her head lowered, bent and she caught the tail end of the liquid trail with her mouth, licking it all the way up to the small incision where it first began.  Looking up at Leo, underneath her fringed lashes, she opened her mouth and sank her fangs into the fleshy part of his skin.  Keeping eye contact with him, she started to drink in big pulls, taking what he so freely offered to her.