The Mute Mistress: Chapter 3

Chapter 3

The night ended so poorly, Mary hardly slept. She went back and forth between packing her bags and sticking out the embarrassment in the middle of crying profusely and incredible fatigue. Putting on her musical playlist helped bring her down. Naturally, people carried their whispers about her, but not since high school had she been so publicly embarrassed. The judgment felt loud, again; it took her back to a place inside she wished never existed. Shortly after Belle helped her, Belle walked her the longways around the commotion and asked if she needed to accompany her into the guest house. Mary declined the offer, typing shakily she'd prefer to be alone. If she wasn't under financial duress, she wouldn't have thought twice about calling a car and leaving.

But she didn't dare tell her sister. She sat in the dark for an hour before replying to Nellie's text checking in on her. Instead of the truth, she described the people, the food, and the atmosphere in great detail, with no traces of worry in her messages. By 6 AM, Belle sent a text asking for Mary to meet her in the kitchen in an hour.

"I'm so sorry about last night, Mary." She heard the panic-filled crack in the sad woman's voice the moment she entered the kitchen. Belle grabbed her hands and, with pity-filled eyes, looked up into Mary's listless and distant gray orbs still darkened by upset.

"I promise, he's not usually so callous and careless." Belle's face was hard to ignore, but Mary wanted to move past that horrible moment as soon as possible and surveyed the ingredients spread across the island. Belle took the hint and explained shyly what she planned on making for breakfast.

"I already made a plate for you." Belle held a wobbled smile.

Mary shook her head and purposely avoided the deepened disappointment on Belle's face.

"Okay," Belle murmured, filled with regret.

Mary arranged the eggs, bacon, and mini pancakes on platters and placed it on a serving cart. Though fearful of interaction, she wore a straight face and entered the breakfast room. Mary recognized Nathan and Karina immediately. They were visibly hungover. An elbow sank into his armrest, and a hand sheltered his eyes from the lights. The dark robe, loosely secured over his body, exposed a hard, shapely chest ruined by a terrible slouch. His posture summoned memories made of the swords in her heart, but she masked how much it unsettled her. His girlfriend matched his attire and posture, except that she was busy swiping through her phone.

Mary was a few strides from him when Nathan lowered his shielding hand. He looked terrible, almost sick. She approached the table with caution, and her apprehension was inevitable.

"Wow, she's still here," Karina said, unperturbed.

"Easy, Karina," Nathan nagged. His voice broke, and he cleared his throat loudly.

She shrugged and whispered, "What? I thought she left."

Nathan looked at the glow on Mary's face. Her eyes lowered to the tray she gripped with force.

"It's okay," Nathan said carefully. "You can just put it down there."

Mary placed the platters on the table without the grace she intended, rattling the plates, the cutlery, and almost tipping the syrup dispenser. Before the clatter stopped, she fled back into the kitchen and Belle dropped the spatula to the side. "Oh no, what happened?"

Mary huffed and pressed against the counter. Her heart pounded fast like the night before.

"Please, just let me handle the rest of their morning, and stay here," Belle suggested softly.

Mary sat at the marble-topped island before murmurs called her attention. Belle barred Nathan from passing into the kitchen, gesturing he leave. He resisted the dismissal. "Just let me apologize to her."

"Please, leave her alone." Belle protested. "Let her have a moment to herself. You're in no condition to approach her."

Belle's piercing glare did not falter. It was not an appearance he tolerated on her face. He'd yet to see anything but her disapproving eyes since last night.

"Where did you find her? She had a panic attack," he whispered.

Belle straightened her back and grabbed her waist. "What's wrong with that?"

He crimped his brows eyebrows and said, "C'mon–"

"She fit the credentials and recommended to me by a trusted friend." Belle's cheeks beamed with red.

His nose flared, and he looked back at Mary, staring at the ceiling with a shifted jaw. With remorse, Belle took a deep breath and looked back at their subject.

"She's too anxious for this position, and I wanted you to hire someone who can also care for you when I'm not around," Nathan complained, and turned to study Belle's choice critically. Mary felt the ravages of disappointment claw in her belly.

Belle's tone shuddered with resentment. "Do you want me to fire her, right now?"

He tussled his hair with a grimace. Mary took a long breath before she closed her eyes in thought. She hoped he didn't tell her to go. Her family needed the money.

"She can stay," Nathan said finally.

"I suppose she may stay, if she chooses to now," Belle said. He walked off in the middle of her declaration to grab a small glass from the cabinet. After venturing into the pantry, he returned with a glass bottle of brown liquor. A single brow rose on Mary's face when she took a step back from the counter. It was barely 7 AM when he poured himself a glass of whiskey.

"Nathan! For Christ's sake, it's the morning!" Belle stomped.

If he heard the concern in her anger at all, he feigned ignorance toward it. Mary closed her fists to stop the tremors. It didn't work. With her eyes on Belle, she signed shakily and mouthed, "I'm so sorry."

"Mary!" Belle called after with regret. As fast as she could, she followed Mary to the guest house. Belle slowly ascended the steps to the loft "Mary, I'm so sorry. It's not usually like this."

Belle reached the top and covered her heart with her hands.

"Please, stay," she whispered. "I'm sure that all of today's events have made you feel completely unwelcome here... I suppose I shouldn't ask you not to go."

Belle momentarily drifted away in sadness. Mary examined soft imploring eyes that held a glaze. Belle's cheeks remained red, and her fingers, laced, hovered before her lips.

"Mary?" she implored, but when her dependent shook her head, she deflated.

Disappointed, Belle ran her hands over her dress and erected her posture. "I understand, and I am sorry."

Belle granted Mary peace by exiting the guest house. Mary stepped back and sat on the bed, and covered her face. Why should she stay?

"Please, think over it," Belle whispered, her eyes fixated on the approaching cab in the distance. Mary refused to look at her and focused on the approaching car.

In a hurry, Mary helped the driver store her bags in the car and slipped into the back seat.

Belle had pressed her back behind the front doors once she secured them closed. Belle retrieved a handkerchief from her cardigan and patted her damp eyes. As she secured the embroidered cloth away, she turned her attention to the top of the staircase and paused. With shock, Nathan monitored the matron over the balcony above the gallery, and her angry eyes beheld him.

Soon, his footsteps clamored down the right staircase and behind her as she hobbled speedily across the foyer. He stepped in her way, blocking her from passing under the staircase. "Belle, c'mon. What just happened?"

In under twenty-four hours, he had seen her eyes filled with passion. She pointed at his face. "I've never been so disappointed in you. There is nothing you can say to me to make this right."