The Mute Mistress: Chapter 31 *ENDING*

Chapter 31 *Ending*

A year later, a long platform over the emerald green grass served as their altar, lined with white peonies. Nathan stood in front of the little white-haired officiant that was continuously wiping her face with her handkerchief. Nathan looked out into the anticipating crowd, looking at the happy faces with hearts that couldn't have been beating as fast as his own.

The wedding was small and simple but mostly beautiful. Yet, most of the extravagance was in the warm feelings of the families that had gathered to be a part of their union. The small audience stood from the seats that edged the cobbled walkway. The back doors to the estate waned open, and everyone stood to their feet. Chandni and Joseph's twins happily walked in front, tossing the white rose petals on the ground. Buddy nervously followed behind holding a small pillow with the rings.

Now, Nathan's chest was hammering inside as he saw his bride proceeding down the steps with her mother and Nellie at her sides.

There before Nathan was Mary in all of her glory. Finally, in a gown more beautiful than the last, he was overwhelmed by her beauty as he lifted up the vintage veil that was last worn on her mother's wedding day. He couldn't help but look over her lovely frame. Her lovely dark hair was braided into an elegant bun. Her smooth skin adorned in fitted lace that covered her arms down to the long silk train. Her curves were still as magnificent as the first time he ever admired them, and in the back was a lovely window of skin, perfecting the body of art that she was.

He lifted the veil. Mary's eyes smiled the brightest he'd ever seen them, and he staggered an exhale feeling the prickly sensation behind his nose. Mary took a look into the small crowd. She saw Nathan's sister, sister-in-law, a handful of his colleagues, and a few of her old friends from school and her favorite community center. She held her breath.

"It's just me and you," Nathan whispered, and she looked back at him. "Me and you and everyone who loves us."

Mary heard her racing heart in her ears but she nodded. Their nuptials began, and Nathan could barely hear Belle saying a word as he looked at a heavenly face that was gazing back at him. Suddenly, he grounded at the right time, as he heard Belle ask, "Nathan would you like to share your vows."

Nathan felt Joseph pat his back to amp him up. Mary turned her head to the side but didn't lose her smile. What was he doing?

"Mary," Nathan signed and Nellie translated. "It didn't take long for me to fall in love with you. It happened when you first smiled. Now I don't want to go a day without seeing it on your face. I thought love was supposed to be hard, but you showed me it was easy despite what we've gone through. I will do anything for you or die trying. Thank you for loving me. I will always love you, Mary."

Joseph shook Nathan's shoulder enthusiastically, knowing how long his brother spent practicing. With surprise in her glassy eyes, Mary covered her mouth and gawked at her sister before glancing at Chester. He sniffed loudly with a reddened nose but prepared to translate.

"Nathan... you're one of the most beautiful humans I've ever met. Your heart is one of the biggest hearts, and I cling to you so that I may hear it as long as I can. You knew how to bring me back when trauma encouraged me to float away. You have never lost patience with me as I continue to work through my fears, and it takes a special man to come into my life and have the courage to stay and see me as I am. I love you, Nathan. Forever."

Belle put away her handkerchief and announced, "Nathan, do you take Mary to be your lawfully wedded wife?"

He nodded and signed, "I do."

"Mary, do you take Nathaniel to be your lawfully wedded husband?" Belle whimpered.

Nathan anxiously awaited for his bride to sign her answer. However, his heart skipped as Mary grabbed his hands.

She inhaled deeply, and he squeezed her once. Focusing only on him, her lips parted and in a faint voice, "I do."

Nathan crumbled to his knees and wept into her hands. She spoke to me, me. He couldn't believe it, but she knew she would try to face her fears on her wedding day. Claps resounded as Mary knelt down in front of him and lifted his head.

Still crying he stood and gasped, "Mary?"

He pulled her into his arms and held her tight. She laughed tearfully and whispered in his ear, "Hi."

They didn't wait for permission from the officiant, exchanged rings and a kiss. Screams and applause roared around them. The happy couple looked out to the small audience and found several tears and broad smiles watching over them.

Belle gasped before Freya gently touched her shoulders. Soon she was consoled by Laura and Joseph, as she was almost wept out of control. Mary walked to her mother who kissed her fingers before caressing the sides of her youngest daughter's face. She was pulled into a hug, and her mother cried while covering her mouth in exasperation after finally hearing her daughter speak publicly. Mary turned to her sister ferociously wiping her eyes.

"Mary," Nellie wept, as her little sister reached out for her. "I knew you could do it."

Mary cupped Nellie's face.

They signed a quick 'love you' before they enjoyed the sight of Joseph cheering Nathan still trying to make sense of reality with heavy breaths and a hand to his forehead.

After the reception, the newlyweds waved goodbye through the window of the limousine at their teary-eyed family. Once the driver whisked them away, Nathan turned to look at his new bride.

Mary smiled with her rosy cheeks. Their fingers intertwined before she leaned her head against his shoulder.

"I love you, Mary," he whispered.

She squeezed his hand and he melted once more, as he heard for his ears only, "I love you too, Nathan."

-------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Thank you for joining me on this adventure. It was a blast rewriting the story of Mary and Nathan, and for those of you rereading, I do hope you can appreciate this version too.  Now, onto the Epilogue! 

-Mayen