The Mute Mistress: Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Mary remained closed off from Nathan on the ride back to the estate. He was hardly on his phone and adopted silence for the first half of the ride. She appreciated the headspace and spent most of her time texting her sister. But fifteen minutes was the best he could do before he infiltrated her consciousness. "Mary."

She stiffened immediately and forced her eyes to meet his, fighting the shock of shattered silence.

"I have a lot of apologizing to do," He began warily. "Who you saw at the party was not me."

She looked at him steadily. It wasn't necessary that he apologize, but if he wanted to, he wouldn't skirt responsibility. She switched to her note app. That WAS you.

He scratched his brow, biting back the anger opening his mouth before closing it. He thought more carefully and tempered. "Look, I just want to say I'm sorry for hurting your feelings and being insensitive."
Mary eyed him suspiciously. It sounded like it was the best apology he could whip together. She typed again, and his time he watched and sighed frustratingly while reading. I'm coming back because I need the money to help my family. And I still need our agreement in writing.

"Alright," he said pointedly, turning to his window and rubbing his chin.

What else did he expect? She knew what an apology was, and she knew they were for the apologizer. If he wanted her to see him as a good person, he would have to ditch the excuses. After an hour in traffic, they returned to Queen View Haven and drove a few miles to the gates of the mansion. Mary followed him into the kitchen. Belle had her back facing the southern entrance, slowly chopping peppers on a large cutting board.

"Hyvää iltaa (Good evening), Nathan," Belle announced coldly.

Mary saw him prepare himself with a deep breath. He shocked her when he answered, "Hyvää iltaa. Käänny ympäri. (Good evening. Turn around.) Please."

Belle paused before laying down the knife and turning. Her dulled eyes lit up with joy. A tearful sigh escaped her when she glanced at the woman beside him.

"W-w-what is she doing here?" Belle gasped. "Mary?"

Mary returned a half-sided smile and approached the island. Quickly, Belle staggered to the sink to wash her hands and dry them on the towel around her waist.

"I'll get your bag," Nathan grumbled before disappearing quickly.

Belle returned to Mary, raising her hands in disbelief. "Your bag? Have you changed your mind?"

When the new live-in help nodded, Belle squeezed her fists and looked to the ceiling with joy. Mary was shocked by the hug.

"I'm so sorry. I've been trying to figure out the best way to send my apologies, but the emails and texts didn't capture the magnitude of my–"

Mary held Belle's hands, and she felt a squeeze back. To push home her message, she typed. No more apologies, please.

A big smile formed on her face while she caught her breath. Belle's joy was contagious, sparking a bigger grin on Mary.

The next morning, Mary was up before sunrise. She didn't think she'd sleep well in the guesthouse, but once she sank into the memory foam mattress, she was out cold. They stocked the kitchen with enough supplies and ingredients to make herself a small breakfast. They provided for her, but she already missed her family. Luckily, her sister called shortly after Mary begged to talk.

"I haven't been able to sleep," Nellie admitted. "Are you okay?"

"Yes, but I'd be happier if you quit that job."