The Mute Mistress: Chapter 30

Chapter 30

Mary walked along the lake's boardwalk, holding a fistful of bird seeds. She observed the house sparrows flitting around the nearby grass before looking out to the water at the family of ducks. She tossed her head around. Her brows waggled above a mischievous grin. A gentle breeze narrowed his eyes before his last steps to her.

"The birds here are notoriously friendly," Nathan said matter-of-factly, shaking a plastic bag of seeds.

She looked back at the sparrows and tossed the seeds at them. Laughter roared from him when she noticed more than half of the seeds stuck to her sweaty palms. Clapping her hands over the boardwalk, the ducks feasted.

"I love you, you know that?" he asked abruptly.

She surveyed his squinting eyes. A line appeared between her brow, but she nodded. Her answer softened his face the way she had hoped, but she couldn't help but acknowledge the mild terror on his face. He pulled at her heart stretching out the silence.

"I was thinking we could do a few projects together."

She was humored by his hesitancy.

"The first one being we find a new house." He continued carefully. "Something smaller we can live in together."

Mary signed Belle's name in question. He answered, "She wants to go back home to Finland."

Her attention dropped. It made sense why she overheard Belle speaking Finnish on frequent phone calls. Nathan asked Mary what she thought. His offer was a big step, and it made her nervous, but in the best way. He smiled when she agreed.

"The second thing revolves around that learning center. I believe they could use some cityscape and skyline pictures by a local."

She put her hands over her heart. Over the last month, he had proven himself to be more attentive every single day, especially when his work kept him away for the majority of the time. Two nights prior, they attended a large banquet where he requested a table closest to the exit. Luckily, the tables closest to the door were flush against the floor to ceiling windows. She was fine until the overstimulation of his colleagues approaching frequently with their libations between the dining services. More times than not, Nathan was asked why he wasn't drinking but he would shrug away their answer and speak on his preference of water for the night. Noticing she would turn to the window after a shy greeting, he made a suggestion. And they had turned their chairs so they faced the windows. "Better?" He'd asked, and smiled at his reflection. He drew his arm over the table, and she took his hand before they proceeded to watch people in the reflections. Let her have this moment, she remembered thinking. No one else was in the room.

She couldn't imagine doubting her love for him again and anxiously held up three fingers, wondering about the last project. Nathan looked out to the water and exhaled a great breath. He rubbed his palms against his pants before finding her face again. She asked if he was okay in sign, but Mary went white when he lowered to one knee. He stared at the ground blankly and forced hot breaths before he reached into his pocket. Anxious heat stammered from his throat when he looked heavenward before falling to gray orbs glowing in fright. He squeezed the box before opening his trembling hand.

He opened the box. "Mary?"

She covered her mouth at the sight of a beautiful slim silver band, with a small grey diamond in the center. His eyes were wet. "I know it's soon, and we don't have to do anything right away. But since I've met you, I've seen so many different outcomes of my life... and none of them were without you."
He grabbed her left hand and asked. "Will you be with me forever? Will you marry me?"

She put her right hand over her heart, and a crippling shock struck him like a bolt. The panic lived in his eyes until her lips curved into a smile. Seeing her teeth, he put his hand on his forehead before chanting 'Oh my god'. He shook so bad she helped steady his hand to guide the ring on her finger. He sprang to his feet and kissed her face.

"Wait, you said 'yes' right?" he panicked.

Mary covered her tearful eyes before her mouth with her hands. Nathan caught the glimmer of the ring and backed away to yell, "Yes!"

Her laughter turned him around to plant another kiss. He revolved her around gently by the shoulders. Mary spread her arms, taking in the sight of unexpected faces.

What are you doing here? She signed to her mother and Nellie carrying Buddy.

"Hi, Auntie!" Her nephew waved excitedly.

Also encroaching from behind, she recognized Nathan's brother with two small children hanging onto both his hands. Her eyes sparkled with joy but remained wide in question.

"Are you getting married?!" Nellie shouted.

Mary held her hands over her head before running into her family's arms. She had thought about it often, but now it was her reality. She was going to marry Nathan.