9-Being Bitten

9

She has to be fucking doing that on purpose.

Romeo clutches the pencil in his hand, automatically breaking it in half. Zipping open his binder viciously, he throws the 7th pencil today he’s broken into the garbage, grabbing a new one.

All week Juliette has ignored Astrid, Noah, and Romeo. She’s been hanging out with Dustin. Hasn’t even glanced at them. And now, she has the nerve, to sit with Dustin in math class. Only that’s not what’s pissing Romeo off.

Dustin’s got his arm around her shoulders, as the two take the test that was distributed twenty minutes ago. Every few minutes he’ll whisper something in her ear, making her either smile or laugh. And the teacher is oblivious to it, burying her nose in a book. So she sits there, making Romeo extremely pissed off and jealous.

Astrid, on the other hand, is sitting next to Romeo. Noah isn’t in this class, so she sat here. “Do you think she’s mad at me?” She whispers to Noah, eyes never leaving her best friend.

He already told Astrid what happened last week. “I don’t know. Knowing her, she’s probably afraid.”

Narrowing her eyes to slits, she turns to him. “Know her? You’ve never took the chance to know her. And don’t give me that bullshit where you can read her mind. You still should have took the time to get to know her.”

Slumping in his seat, he sighs. She’s the only one in his pack that doesn’t listen to him and fights back. “I don’t know what to do. She’s driving me crazy, Astrid. I mean, look at her for crying out loud!” He shoves a hand in their direction, which is in front of them both. 

The two lovebirds sit in the corner near the window, bubbling in answers for the test. Seeing this makes Astrid’s head hurt. “I’m suppose to be there for her, ask how good he kisses and-”

“Not. Helping.”

Grinning, she swats him away, then very loudly, whispers, “Psst! Hey, Julie, hey! Julie, psst! Hey, Julie!” Juliette goes rigid in her seat. In a very gangster like voice, Astrid yells across the room, “YO, JU-LIE!”

“That is enough, Miss Dime! Detention!” The cranky teacher snaps. She points at Juliette, “You too!”

“W-what? What did I do?” Jules asks, looking like she’s never got detention in her whole life. That’s probably true.

The teacher doesn’t answer, just huffs and sits back down. A huge light bulb goes off in the back of his head. “Astrid, text Noah and ask him to purposely get detention.”

“Why?”

“Just do it.”

Huffing, she whips her phone out from under the desk and quickly sends him the message. “Don’t see why you couldn’t do this yourself…”