Prologue

700 Years Earlier
Fairy King's Forest

"Brother please don't leave us!" Elaine  shouted as the long haired ginger fairy held her back, her expression unreadable but on the inside she was filled with sadness and worry.

"Elaine if I don't go who is going to help Helbram and the others?" The Fairy King questioned his amber eyes filled to the brim with distress.

The small blonde fairy princess whipped around to face the girl -who was only a few inches taller- holding her back from stopping her brother.

"Adelina there must be something you can do! You're his advisor! Tell him he has to stay!" Elaine begged holding onto her arms. The girl in question sighed and shook her head sadly.

"Elaine I am merely his advisor. I cannot force the fairy king into doing something he does not wish to do. Furthermore, while I do not like this situation in the slightest. Helbram is one of our own. Along with the others. Harlequin is doing his duty as king." Adelina explain her eyes never leaving her king's. Only he saw her eyes slowly fill with tears.

"Adelina. While I am gone, you...you are in charge of the realm." Harlequin spoke softly and Adelina clenched her fists, setting her jaw, forcing the tears to stay back. Elaine shook her head profusely and broke from the advisor's grasp.

"No! It is your job brother!" She pleaded and he lifted off his feet turning around.

"Do you promise Adelina? Do you promise to protect our people in my absence?" He asked quietly, his voice shaking. Adelina floated up to him keeping her eyes trained on the back of his ginger head.

"I will promise, if only you promise to return Lord Fairy King." She spoke, her voice wavering. He turned his head to look over his shoulder at her.

"I will come back." He said and she nodded once as he flew away. Elaine flew up and grasped Adelina's arm crying.

"BROTHER NO!!" She screamed sobbing with all her might. She clung to Adelina as if she would die if she let go. Adelina picked up the girl who was only slightly smaller and lowered herself to the ground.

"Elaine, I would like you to guard the Fairy King's Forest. I will focus on the people. We will do this together until your brother returns." Adelina spoke facing away from the princess and the small gathering of fairies. She allowed two tears to flow down her face.

"For now I must go to my home and gather my things. I will take stay in the king's home so I may be closer to the work that needs to be done." She slowly lifted herself from the ground and flew to her home.

As Adelina shut the door she fell to her knees, burying her face in her hands.

"You're so stupid Harlequin. I told you not to go. What good is an advisor if you don't listen?" She whispered to herself allowing the tears to flow freely from her red eyes.

"Why are you so kind? Helbram always runs amuck. Think about yourself for once Harlequin. What if you get hurt?" She whimpered crying harder, letting her walls break down.

"Please Harlequin...please be safe..." She concluded wiping her eyes. She stood up, her ginger hair cascading down her back and brushing the floor. She walked to her room and began gathering her things, all the while glancing at a picture that sat delicately on her side table.

A short haired version of herself, and her king.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"ADVISOR ADELINA YOU MUST RUN!" Adelina flew around wildly, sword in hand, dress in tatters. She slashed humans where she could frantically looking around for Elaine and saving young ones where she could.

"No! I promised I would protect you all!" She shouted back, she saw Elaine and a few others disappear into the sacred tree and breathed a sigh of relief. She slowed and rounded on a man with an eye patch.

"As temporary fairy ruler! I order you to leave this realm at once!" She shouted lifting her sword. He chuckled and peaked around her.

"My, my you do have the most beautiful wings of them all young fairy. And that hair might make some money too!" She growled and bared her teeth and went to fly forward.

"Lady Adelina no! You must go now and find Lord Fairy King!" One of the older fairies shouted. She flared her nostrils and shook her head.

"I WILL NOT LEAVE MY PEOPLE!" She screamed and shot towards the man. He chuckled and reached for his sword. She swung hers clipping his cheek as he swung his and clipped her waist. Suddenly a branch from the sacred tree wrapped around her waist and pulled her away.

"IF YOU DO NOT LEAVE NOW I WILL NEVER FORGIVE YOU ADELINA!" And suddenly with Elaine's words the branch launched Adelina away.

"FIND HARLEQUIN!" Voices yelled.

As Adelina landed far away she laid on the ground breathing heavily tears going down her face.

"Harlequin..where have you been.."

And little did she know...he was later back where she was, grieving the loss of his people, and being attacked by the same human who attacked her. Losing his memories for a long time.

Word Count: 884