Chapter 12: Bite My Tongue

His gentle touch became rough as he gripped the back of my neck with more force, the kiss becoming deeper.

Eventually we pulled away, and I found that my hands had gripped the fabric of his t-shirt so that I wouldn't fall over from the shock. I bit down on my swollen bottom lip and looked into his eyes, ours both struck with a look of shock and emotion.

"I..." I started to say, but Dan pulled me in for another tight hug.

"I missed you so much, you don't even know. It doesn't matter right now, we just need to catch up. Seriously. I'll call Phil too, he was gonna come over too it's just he was with Rachel." He babbled and I shushed him by pulling his face to mine and meeting his lips with a soft kiss again.

When I pulled away a moment later he had the same flushed look he had when he kissed me the first time.

"I'm so sorry for everything." I said quietly and gripped his hand tightly, pulling him into my house. I shut the door behind him and we walked to my living room, where we sat in silence on either sides of the sofa for a good ten minutes.

"I should call Phil."

"Okay." Was all I could say in response. Had we really just done something like that? He was my best friend, not someone I liked, that way. I never saw him in that light before, so it must have just been a wave of emotion coming over me to get me to do something crazy like that. Soon enough he got up from the sofa and walked out into the hallway, his phone in his hand.

I didn't like him. No. Not that way.

I tried to convince myself, but there was a warm feeling in the pit of my stomach that could be suggesting otherwise.

-----

Around about half an hour later, there was the loud ringing sound of the doorbell resonating throughout the house, and I called out to Dan for him to open it, because I was making us cups of tea in the kitchen.

I was just stirring the milk into the mugs when the kitchen door opened, and I saw not two, but three heads in the doorway. I looked over to see Phil smiling widely at me, so I placed the things down on the counter carefully and ran over to hug him. He squeezed tightly, letting me go after a few seconds.

"We've missed you so much, haven't we?" Phil mentioned to Dan and the other person talking to Dan. I looked past him to see Dan doing his signature half-smile, then my eyes met with another familiar face.

Rachel. I shot her a small smile, hoping that she would forget about what happened those eight months ago, but my gesture was only returned with a glare. It suddenly switched to a fake smile, and she leapt forwards and pushed past Phil to fling her arms around me. Her nails dug into my sides, but I ignored it as I placed my arms around her back. She pulled away almost automatically, leaving her clammy hands to rest on my shoulders. Her facade dropped, because she was facing away from Dan and Phil, and her face now held a menacing, creepy look to it.

"We really did miss you. Why did you do it, huh? You weren't popular enough, were you?" She laughed animatedly, but for some reason it didn't strike either guys as being fake at all. They laughed with her, and I squirmed slightly in her tight grip. Again, her nails were digging into my skin. "Well you've got enough attention now, haven't you? Your little apology video has over 500K views already, and it's only been a few hours. Go you."

I felt her grip tighten even more, and I had to bite my tongue to stop me from making any noise. I just gave a small smile and nodded.

"Right, uh, do you want to all watch a movie or something?" I asked, managing to wrench myself from her iron grip.