The Art of Mending Memories 18

Chapter 18

I woke up smiling. I didn't know why, since it was a school morning (and like any sane teenager, I hated school), but I woke up with a feeling of content all through me, even though it was freakishly early in the morning and my alarm was beeping loudly. I just knew it was going to be a great day.

The smile didn't leave my face as I rolled out of bed. Standing up, I inhaled deeply. Something seemed different, but I couldn't place it. I shrugged it off, knowing it was just me; I would have woken up if anyone-besides Jerry, my pet ferret-had gone near me while I slept.

As I poured my coffee, I wondered why I felt so content. Aunt Jane and I had made up-which I was happy beyond words about-but none of my other problems had gone away. In fact, I had even forgotten to do my math homework.

Whatever the reason, I retained my smile all through the morning. It was contagious; Cassy caught it first period; Brenda, whom I sat next to in second period, did too; Paul, Sarella, and Chris fell prey to my smile as well.

"You're back," Paul commented to me at the end of Art.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Well, you've been kind of blue lately. I mean, Kaelyn Apples, my best friend, is back from the blue.

I laughed. "I guess I am. I don't know; I just woke up happy, knowing today was going to be a great day."

"So I assume things are all better between you and Jane?"

"Yep," I replied enthusiastically. "A-Okay. When she got home last night we had a talk, and now we're cool."

He laughed and swung his arm over my shoulder. "That's great, Kaelyn. I'm happy for you."

"Thanks," I smiled. "And thanks for letting my self stay over when I was too emotionally stressed to go home."

He quickly kissed the top of my head. "Anytime. You're pretty much part of the family."

I laughed. "Kaelyn Green," I said as if it were a joke, still laughing. "Daughter of Marth and Daniel Green; sister to Paul, Michael, and Samantha Green." I laughed louder. "That sounds funny."

"I think it sounds lovely."

My laughter reached a level of near hysterics, and people shot me odd looks in the hallway. Paul said something, but I was too busy laughing to hear it.

I saw Jason walk over to us, a puzzled expression on his face. "Hi guys," he said slowly, his expression one like that of a person having a conversation with a crazed individual. "What's so funny?"

I tried to answer him, but was too busy gasping and gulping for air to do so.

"I think she's in hysterics," Paul said seriously, which, of course, set me off again.

"Probably," Jason replied. "What did you do?"

"She apparently thinks 'Kaelyn Green' sounds funny."

"You asked her to marry you?" Jason shouted, his mouth wide open. My hysterics were turned up a notch.

"Dude, calm down. I just said she was part of the family." Paul's hand was resting on Jason's shoulder. "Kaelyn is the one who finds it so funny."

"Right," Jason replied hesitantly. "Well, we have to get to class. The bell's about to ring."

"Shit, I'm going to be late. Bye!" Paul waved his hand at us and turned around, nearly running down the hallway.