The Art of Mending Memories 6

Chapter 6

As I left the school behind me I heard my phone go off in my pocket. I pulled it out and quickly glanced at the id, mostly keeping my eyes on the road. It was Kara. Great. An interrogation is just what I need.

I answered the phone. "Hello."

"Oh My God! What the hell is the matter with you?" Kara screamed over the phone at me. "Mr. Sexy Aaron is totally and completely into you, and you 're completely cold to him. What. gives?" She said, emphasizing the word "completely" every time she said.

I sighed. "It's a slightly complicated story, but basically I met him two days ago at the beach, and have been trying to get him to leave me alone ever since. No luck."

"But why would you want him to leave you alone? What the hell is wrong with him?" She screamed in my hear.

"He's just not really my type." Meaning werewolf, of course.

"Bullshit!" She screamed. "You don't even know him! Give him a chance! You guys would look so cute together!"

I sighed. "Kara, drop it."

"Oh, no, I'm not! Don't you think this is over. I have a whole list of arguments! Like how he's-"

"Save it for someone who cares."

"Kaelyn, I just don't get it." Kara told me in a serious voice. "I've never known you to be prejudice. And I've never known you to be mean. And I've never known you to ignore and be so cold hearted to someone like that. I've always thought you were the nicest person in the world because you saw people for who they were, not what they were."

Her words sliced at me. I always tried to be as nice and open minded to people as I could be. How do I know what they've been through. Everyone is special and unique; their similar or different exteriors shouldn't matter.

But with werewolves, their interior reflects their exterior. Biologically, they are savage, murderous, bloody beasts, who don't care who they hurt. This is what I have learned from all the werewolves I've ever met. It's an inescapable truth of who they are reflecting what they are.

"Sometimes," I told Kara over the phone, "even I have to be mean and cold hearted to someone. Sometimes my past catches up to me, and people I do not want to be around envelope me. Sometimes people bring back memories that are better left untold."

"What do you mean?" She asked.

I sighed before laughing once. "Nothing really. I have to go. Bye Kara. See you tomorrow." I hung up without waiting for a response.

ʘ ʘ ʘ ʘ ʘ

I drove the car down my long, straight driveway. My house was a blue-gray color, with a one car garage attached to the side. The house was out in the open, but right behind it was a giant forest that traveled for miles. My house was at the end of a dead end, so cars hardly ever passed by.

I parked the car next to the house. Aunt Jane worked at the elementary school, so she usually wouldn't get home until 4:30.

I walked into the house and went straight to the kitchen; I was starving. I was always hungry by the time I got home at 3:30. I opened up the fridge to see what leftovers there were that I could devour.

I sat down with some leftover mashed potatoes and noticed a note on the table. It read:

Kaelyn,

Please do the dishes, and pick up the house a bit. Anna and Dylan are coming over for dinner, don't forget.

Love, Auntie.