The Art of Mending Memories 41

Chapter 41

“Something is wrong, Aaron,” I told him solemnly.

“I know.  I’ve been watching you all day, Kaelyn.  I know something is wrong.”

“No, I mean something is really wrong.  Something bad is going to happen.  Only I don’t know what it is, or when it’s going to happen.”

Aaron paused. “How do you know?”

“I don’t know, exactly,” I replied slowly, drawing out my vowels.  “It’s kind of like a very strong gut feeling.”

Aaron’s eyebrows drew together. “A gut feeling?  That’s all?”

“Well…no.  Not really. I,” I paused, afraid to continue.  This was the time, my confession.  After I told him this, he may never look at me the same way.  I was afraid of that.

Aaron studied me. “You what?” He asked softly.

I pulled out of his grasp and started walking to the couch. “Let’s sit down, first,” I mumbled.  Aaron followed me to the couch and sat next to me, our legs lined against one another.  He reached over and took hold of my hand.  He squeezed it gently, and I took comfort from the motion.

I took a deep breath, thinking of where to begin.  “You know how shifters often have extra abilities?  Like how you can see relationships and feelings between people?”  Aaron nodded.  “Well…I do too.”

I held my breath, wondering what he would say.  I could imagine the calculations behind his eyes.  The way he would open them and begin imagining all the power he could wield over other packs and species.  All that power in my hands.  He would guard me like a weapon, allowing me to see outside only when they were wondering if anyone was a shifter.  I would be his own weapon to wield at will.

The moment lasted forever in anticipation as I waited for him to ask me what it was.  I couldn’t breathe.  I was petrified but my heart pumped loudly.  I could see nothing but Aaron’s face.

“I know,” he said calmly.

Air whooshed into me at the same time I gasped, causing me to cough lightly.  My eyes popped out at him and my jaw slackened and fell.

“What?”

A corner of his mouth twitched upward before he controlled it. “I know.  You have the Sight for werewolves.”

My mouth opened and closed.  And again.  And again.  And again.  No sound left my mouth. “B-but how?” I managed to sputter.

“How else would you know who every single werewolf in the pack was?”  His voice sounded serious, but with an edge of amusement. “I suppose you could have assumed every new kid was one, but you picked out Serella’s brother, and besides being a freshman new to the school, he doesn’t much resemble a werewolf.”

“But-But…”

Aaron smiled at me.  “You really thought I didn’t know?”

I thought about all the hints that were there.  I thought I had hid it from him—that was my original intention—but appearently I hadn’t.  What he said made sense; how would I know who each wolf was?  An uncomfortable feeling entered the pit of my stomach at the thought that everyone knew my secret.  Jared had warned me never to tell anyone.

“I…didn’t realize it was so obvious,” I said in a weak voice, shock still controlling my mind.

He shook his head. “It wasn’t.  It took me a few weeks to figure it out.  I suppose if you didn’t have the Sight for Wolves it would have been easier to win you affection,” he mused quietly. He smiled. “But in an odd way, I almost enjoyed the torture you put me through because you trust me more for it.”