The Art of Mending Memories 43

Chapter 43

I walked through the door, instantly noticing the change in temperature.  It was dusk, and I could sense Aaron’s restlessness; it was the first night of the full moon.  Two more would follow.  I looked up to his face as he held the door open for me.  He smiled, but I could sense his need to change.  His body was blazing red.

“I can drive myself home,” I told him.

Aaron let the door shut and looked to the red sky. “I think I can make it.”

“Aaron, I can tell you are holding in the change.  Your body is buzzing with restlessness.  It’s the first night of the full moon; you need to change.”

He took my hand and smiled at me. “I’m fine, really.”  I looked at our interlocked fingers; the red color was so bright I could barely see my own indigo glow.  His palm was like fire.  “I won’t desert you this time.”

“It’s not deserting.  You have a…bodily urge…to satisfy.”

“You’re making it sound like I have to go to the bathroom.”

“Well when nature calls…”

“Ha ha,” he replied dryly.  “I can drive you home.  Plus, I have nowhere to leave my clothes.”

“If you’re fighting it now, out in the open, how do you expect to be in an enclosed vehicle for long enough to drive me home and not turn?”  Werewolves are more likely to change in enclosed spaces than outside.  Their senses find some release in the wide open, but none in enclosed areas. “It’s dangerous for you to get in the car.  I’ll leave your clothes outside at my house.”

“I don’t want to leave you,” he mumbled as we stopped in front of the car.

I smiled and brought his hand to my face so I could kiss the top of it.  “I won’t be far.  You can see me tomorrow if you want.”

“Want?”  He shook his head. “More like need.”

I rolled my eyes. “Don’t be so dramatic.”

“I prefer to think of it as truthful.”

“My point is,” I continued, ignoring his humorous tone, “you need to change.  We’ve been together all day and tomorrow isn’t that far off.  You’ll survive.”

He smirked. “I was more concerned about you surviving.”

“I’m a big, independent woman.  Somehow I’ll manage.”

Aaron sighed, the smirk gone. He tilted his head and looked at me, bringing his hand up to brush against my cheek.  His hand burned against my skin.  “I’ll miss you.”

I smiled. “I’ll miss you too.”

He leaned in to kiss me, sliding his arms around my waist to pull me against him.  I was enveloped by the fire.  It scorched my skin and after a few seconds I had to pull away.  My face was heated in a blush by him.  I looked into his eyes.  Aaron was staring at me intensely, like a predator eyes his prey.  He was breathing heavily and I could see tiny pointed tips of his canine teeth.  He was breathing raggedly and his skin was a red blaze.  I had to squint to lessen the pain on my eyes.

“You need to go,” I said quietly.

Aaron growled and tried to pull me closer.  I pushed against his arms. “Go!”

“I don’t want to,” he growled back.

“You need to.  Now go.”  I stepped back, breaking off all physical connection between us.

Aaron took a few steps backwards, his eyes never leaving mine.  I smiled and blew him a kiss.  He smiled back and turned around to jog off into the woods at the edge of the parking lot.  I watched him until his body was eaten by the shadows of the wood.  I heard a howl, loud and clear, call out to me, and I knew it was his.  A few moments later he howled again, farther off.  I listened as his howls got farther and farther away.  Soon I could hear him joined by others as multiple howls rang in the distance.

Sighing, I looked to the sky.  It was dark now, although lighter to the west.  I could see the moon full in the sky between the few patches of clouds.   I walked to where Aaron had run into the woods to get his clothes.  Aunt Jane would freak if he came back with nothing to cover him.  I found them folded up by the base of a tree, the material cold from the separation from his body.  I brought them back to my car and put them in the passenger seat.  I turned the car on with the heat at full blast.  It wasn’t a cold night; I just missed the warmth of Aaron’s arms.

I cut the engine outside my house, knowing I was the only one there.  Aunt Jane was out with friends.  None of the lights were on except the outside light by the front door.  It was an eerie sight, leaving me with the feeling of being all alone with danger.  I picked up Aaron’s clothes to bring inside and brought them to my face by instinct.  I inhaled deeply, the woodsy smell of him washing over me.  Nothing was outside; I wasn’t in danger.

As soon as I stepped out and closed the door, I knew I was wrong.  I wasn’t alone, and I was in danger.  My sixth sense was screaming at me to get inside: there was a predator nearby.  I felt my heartbeat spike and adrenaline rush through me.  My breathing became heavier and I focused on the door.

I took a step and heard and heard a growl.  My eyes flashed to the darkness of the woods and I stumbled in my step.  I quickened my pace and ran to the door.  I heard another howl from a different area of the woods.  With shaking hands I stabbed the key into the keyhole and turned.

It wouldn’t budge.

I shook it around, trying to make it work.  Another howl rang in the night.

“C’mon, c’mon, c’mon,” I whispered.  My breathing was rough and uneven.  I pushed my body against the door. “Open, damnit!” I screamed at the wood.

I could feel movement behind me—a team of predators against one small prey.  I continued throwing myself against the door and frantically moving the key in the lock in a desperate hope that the door would open.  It remained shut, leaving me to my terrors.

I heard laughter behind me, so familiar I felt my body chill all over.  My mind pulled itself back to my young body, to the last time I heard that voice.  I turned around, feeling as small as I had then.  I see the naked man who haunted my dreams, his teeth pointed and his nailed elongated.  His lips were twisted in a sinister smile and his eyes were red.

“We meet again,” he growled, sending waves of panic and fear all throughout my body.

Everything fell out of my hands and my back hit the door.  I shook, trying to maintain standing. “Dead,” I whispered.  He was supposed to be dead.

---------------------

Busiest. Summer. Of. My. Life.  That's why it has been so long.

I've been wanting to write this chapter for a long time but I seriously have not had the time.  I haven't even had time to see my friends this summer, nevermind write a single word.  Anyway.  I hope you are not dissapointed by this chapter.  Thanks for reading.  And being really patient. 

He laughed. “Soon, you will be.”