The Art of Mending Memories 2

Chapter 2

I slammed open the door. I knew I was freaking out, maybe too much, but for me, it was all justified. Having seen werewolves rape and rip apart my family when I was nine for punishment of a little misunderstanding, I was sure my hatred of the werewolf race was understandable. I hated any shifter actually; the jaguars, tigers, sharks, horses, zebras. All of them. Shifters are unnatural; they should not even exist.

I wish I was like other humans: oblivious. They have no idea how lucky they are to have their ignorance. They never know when a shifter is around. I know. I always know. How, one might ask? Because I have an ability. A "sixth sense" one could call it. I can always tell who is a shifter, and what kind. Also, if I make physical contact with a shifter, I can sense when they are near. I don't know why. I just can. It's been like that for as long as I can remember.

"Aunt Jane!" I yell as I run down the hall. I live with my aunt. I have since I was nine. She has no kids, so she is my only relative. She is my mother's sister. "Aunt Jane!" I yell again.

"What is it, hun?" she replies from the kitchen.

"Werewolves have my name! I need to go! He's going to find me!" I scream like a mad woman.

"Kaelyn! Calm down! Take a deep breath, and start from the beginning. What happened?"

I took a deep breath. "I was painting at the beach, and when I was finished I noticed that there were four werewolves a little ways away from me. I started freaking out and tried to leave, but a werewolf stopped me. He said I was his 'find'. I freaked out and accidentally left my painting on the beach, cause I threw it when he grabbed me. And my painting has my name on it! He's going to come and get me!"

Aunt Jane's eyes had widened during my story. She looked completely surprised and shocked. Finally she blinked a few times and took a deep breath.

"You sure they were werewolves and that he said he 'found' you?"

"Of course I'm sure!" I yell at her "That's why I'm freaking out!"

She took a few deep breaths. "We can't do anything." I was about to yell some more before she cut me off. "You know we can't. He claims he found you. He has your name, and he physically touched you, so he will remember your scent well. You can't run. He will be able to find you eventually. There's no point in even running."

"That's your advice? Sit around and wait for him to rip my innards out? You got to be kidding me! I am not waiting around for some lying monster to come and kill me!"

She slammed her hand down on the table. "You can't do anything else! You're his 'find'! He'll find you no matter where you go!"

"Then I'll reject him!" I said venomously. "There are ways."

She looked at me hard, her eyes gleaming with anger and disgust. "You want to do the same thing that got your family and half your town killed? You want to put someone through that pain?" she hissed at me.

I took a step back, as if her words shot daggers at me. She was right; eight years ago the same thing happened.

A werewolf, Jared, "found" my sister, Linda. She was impossibly happy with him, and they were deeply in love ̶ or so we all thought. The werewolf cheated on her, according to his pack friends. I didn't believe he did, but I never got a chance to prove my theory. Heartbroken, my sister sought out a witch. The witch preformed a ritual that caused my sister to be "lost"; she was no longer Jared's mate. He went crazy. He killed half the town, the witch, half his pack, and eventually he killed himself. The pack blamed my sister. They punished her by torturing her and her family and then killing them. They almost killed me, but for some reason they didn't. I wish they did. I saw the worst that night, and no matter how hard I try, I cannot run from my memories. They hunt me down when I'm alone, and I crumble.

Aunt Jane was right. No one, not even my worst enemy, should have to live through pain like that ̶ both mine and Jared's. I couldn't do that to Aaron. I couldn't do that to anyone. I want to be as far away from Aaron as I possibly could be, but I remember what Jared went through all too well. His desolate howl, his dead eyes. He was a dead soul in a living body.

It was his depression that confirmed, for me, that he did not cheat on Linda, and that his "loyal" pack mates lied to Linda. He had no guilt in those eyes. Just pain. Pure, deep pain, more than I could ever imagine. All I could see were his eyes.

Aunt Jane stared at me from across the table. She knew what I was thinking. She was the only person I had ever told, and even then it was only after living with her for two years that I told her. According to the records, my parents and sister were mauled apart to death by wolves. I somehow remained living. When I finally told Aunt Jane the truth, she believed me right away. "It all fits" she had told me, "and everything in life eventually all fits together."

I sighed. "Life's a bitch" I said to Aunt Jane.

"And then you die" she replied.

-------------------------------------------

Sorry if it is kind of confusing. I tried to make it clear.

Hope you enjoyed it. and you better vote, because that really boosts my self esteem.

just kidding, you don't have to.

but it would still be awesome if you did...