Chapter 12

“Be on time.”

“Aren’t I always?”

I was just talking to my dad before he leaves for work. I wanted to make sure he comes in on time for tonight since it is rude to make your guest wait. Though realistically speaking, whenever something comes up in the house of Villanuevas, you can expect that he is always in command and at the front and center of it. D-day would look like a small pep rally compared to the way he marches us up when we have an occasion. Hundred percent he’ll be the first dressed. He’ll also be there hackling away for you to move your ass to keep with him. It’s a trait that made him the DA.

It is just the first day back from Christmas break, and I’m eager to get back. Good mood maybe? You can say it that. Ordinarily the first day is always the hardest for me from the last few years but this year is definitely different. I finally found a reason to make it interesting, or rather, lovable. Christmas, New Year, she made all those wonderful. I’ll bet a million bucks, if my dad allows it, that she will make this day too.

And there she is, the blonde ice queen standing there in the corner. Luckily too since I’m just in time for her. I was just about to scour the hallway to look for Sam when I noticed her putting things in her locker. Juggling while trying to get her locker to behave more likely if I were to describe it. I approached her while she was clearly in a hurry to stack up her books. Notebooks, books, pens, bag, an apron and clothes were on the verge of falling on the floor by the time I got there. I took a few out of her hands to let her know I’m here, and she looked shocked to see me. I responded by taking all of her things from her and let her hands free to do what it is she was failing to do.

Normally, I wouldn’t be in here and she’ll be out in her place. But the excitement got the better of me this morning and before I knew it, I was here. I can only vaguely remember my alarm setting off when I was already taking a shower, and tasting what I ate for breakfast when I belched. The next thing I remember, I was searching for a parking space.

It is weird to see other people staring at us, not because they are staring, but because they are much more people today than any of my years here. Some of the people in here were not the usual early risers and got me interested why they bothered to stick to their alarms for a change. And not only are they checking us out, they are talking softly loud about me and Sam. They’re using that irritating loudness where it’s loud enough for people to hear but not so loud as to make it as vulgar to everyone else. The kind that you use to make it known to the people involved but not the ones that matter.

I’d like to scream at them to just ask but I have a better way of making it known to them. I reached for Sam’s chin, took of her glasses, and planted a long one on her lips. That got a lot heads turning, a few jaws dropping, and everyone staring. Some of them angled their faces, as if trying to observe it in a new view, which was really weird. I got annoyed so I lashed out at them “Take a picture, it’ll last longer,” I said to all of them. I’m pretty sure it was loud enough for everyone from end to end to hear. And I’m even surer that it was clear enough for everyone to realize.

I looked at Sam to know how she’s taking all this and she just retracted her shoulders, hiding away half her face from my view before turning. I thought of saying sorry for that little fiasco, but when I got a glimpse of a small curve in her lips, it became apparent that she’s not mad at all. She wasn’t even ashamed of it. That made my day. She continued arranging her things and when she shut her locker, she turned back to me and grabbed a few of her things.

As we walked down the hallway, I can see the dumb bunch of girls eyeing out Sam. It’s a look you give out of irritation and envy. Sam never did had it in her to be aggressive, and so instead of her eyeing them out, she just looked away from them. It’s her way of staying out of trouble. But I felt her hands tightened on mine. She’s not going into trouble, but she’ll hold on to me when it becomes nasty, it’s what she was saying, I can tell.