Chapter 4

Usually, these dinners my dad arranges are long and boring. You hear them talk about politics and the law, their personal opinions on how things should be done, the upcoming elections and just about everything there is to discuss. Then after all of that was put to rest, they get down to business. Sometimes they let us stay because eventually, we’ll have to learn the ropes, other times the issues are too confidential to discuss over even to family. Thankfully, this night calls for privacy and we were requested to spend our time someplace else.

While some of my older siblings got out and spent the night out in the casino and the rest to the mall connected to this hotel, I wondered off to a place where I can rest. Not that I’m tired physically, but I’m tired mentally. I just fractured the caste system over for a girl. A girl who has no sense of gratitude, judgmental and even more snob than the usual snobs. What’s worse is that she didn’t ask me to do it. I volunteered, for no reason. And right now, thinking how things will boil tomorrow ranges from basketball versus football to me against the world.

But what’s really bothering me all night is the fact that she doesn’t even complain to what is happening to her. A lot of times I see girls destroyed by Kendra cry over in the corner or run over to their boyfriends. But she, she didn’t even threw a word. She just kept going. Like it was nothing. And it’s frustrating. It sends shivers up my arms to know that she lets herself be wiped all over the floor by Kendra. It’s just not right.

This was one of those days where you try and put two and two together but they end up eight not four. You’re missing four more pieces that were supposed to be there. You just couldn’t fit them without those. And I’m doing the gestures of stacking invisible boxes from where I’m sitting to try and wrap my head around what is supposed to be is and what is supposed to be is not.

And all of this is because of Sam. Sam who didn’t existed a few weeks ago, who didn’t matter a few weeks ago, who just doesn’t fit into high school or any other place. And the more I wanted to just forget her, the more I think about her.

Eventually, after mom called, we left the hotel and went home at about 12 midnight. Dad drove all the way with us behind and the rest of the family almost asleep. My dad must have noticed and asked me if I wanted to sleep but my eyelids kept on sticking up whenever I tried. I just politely said that I’m not tired yet. Perhaps he sensed that I’m in deep thought because he never spoke to me again.

When I entered school, I kind of expected that the high school basketball team would confront me, but instead, the first one who walked against me was my own team. I looked each one in the eye wordlessly asking what they wanted. We stood there for a good three minutes when Jason finally spoke up.

“We need to talk.”

Jason walked first, and the rest of the team followed him. I walked right after the last one left, and followed them to the school gym. They were all seated except Jason, who, had a look of hesitation on his face.

“We heard about Kendra.” Jason started.

“What about it?” I said strongly but without any anger.

“It’s just wrong to go against a girl man, especially Kendra.”

“What are you afraid of?” I asked him full of pride.

“Nothing man. It’s just, you drew a line yesterday. You or Kendra. It’s going to get ugly when someone chooses a side.” He responded to try and reason with me.

There isn’t something they should worry about, and more importantly, it’s nothing I would care about. Kendra doesn’t have many friends in campus. Anyone who would choose to be near her is not making a friend; they’re making an enemy. I’d choose to shoot myself than choose to be with someone who’s a manipulative, self-centered, vain spoiled brat.