Chapter 3

Things went normal after. I went to school, studied hard, played even harder, partied my hardest and went home. Just as it was after when I last saw Sam. And just as it was every other day of my life.

I’d like to keep it this way. There isn’t anything I want to change at this moment. I have a perfect charmed life. Scouts called, universities offered scholarships for academic excellence, parents earning more than what we need, friends knows what fun means, and people respected me. What more could I ask for if not for all of it to stay.

Taking a shower makes you think of all these things. The water flowing from your head to your foot activates your brain to just think and be silent after a day of hard practice. And after a day of football, it made it even better. Of all things I like about football is the release you get and how it recharges you when you feel tired.

“Dean!” Jason shouted over. I was just finished with my shower but he seemed to be finished too.

“Yeah?” I asked, drying my hair with my towel.

“Party at Camille’s. Gonna come?” He asked as he wrapped his towel around his waist.

“No man, can’t. Dad called. I have to go to a dinner.” I said to him as I’m tying my shoelaces.

“Can’t you crash later then?” He asked even though his tone knows I can’t. He was already putting on his shirt and I was just about ready to leave with my bag behind my back.

“No. You know how it is with the DA.” I said to him knowing what it means.

“Yeah man. See you next week then.”

We bumped fists together. They understand how it is when my dad calls for a dinner. My dad, the DA, doesn’t go for dinner for just a little bonding. Half of the time it was for a cause or something related to work. All to keep face sometimes. Though there are times that we go out for fun, this time though with how he sounded, I know its pure business. And because it is, it means he has to have his family by his side. To show support and strength.

I was already on my way to my car when I heard a door crashed. It caught my attention and I looked around to see where it was. When a few girls walked out, looking pissed, it was easy to know that it came from their restroom. I’m not interested to know what petty little annoyances they have with their lives so I walked off. When I heard another door click open, I looked back and saw Sam, her hair drenched and her lips blue.

It was one thing to see a guy after a bully session; it was another to see a girl washed out right after. Something went really wrong, somewhere in the universe and it was here. The worst part is, seeing that she was just determined to let it go. That look that it was something that just annoyed her like a bubble gum under her shoe was clear in her expression. She just tried to dry her hair with what little cloth she was with her, and didn’t utter a word to get back on the girls.

Something snapped within me, and it brought me close to just lash out. I took a deep breath and calmed myself. But my hands remained shut and if there was an arm in it, it will break, in eight different pieces.

For what reason was I’m getting mad of, I’m not sure. I was juggling the idea that she was bullied, she was not fighting back, that I cared and that it was going to go on again. One of them has to be it, but it could as well be all. But none of them had made me forget that I’m mad. It was a volatile mixture. It was sure to come out.

I walked up to her, curious, mad and in deep need to see someone bleed to know what it is that those girls did to her and for what reason they did it.

“What happened to you?” I asked, trying to keep my anger from boiling up into my voice. What little is there of my nails though was already digging deep into my palm, threatening to cut me.