"Bottom of the River"

"Bottom of the River" by Delta Rae

Hold my hand

Ooh, baby, it’s a long way down to the bottom of the river

Hold my hand,

Ooh, baby, it’s a long way down, a long way down

If you get sleep or if you get none

(The cock’s gonna call in the morning, baby)

Check the cupboard for your daddy’s gun

(Red sun rises like an early warning)

The Lord’s gonna come for your first born son

(His hair’s on fire and his heart is burning)

So, go to the river where the water runs

(Wash him deep where the tides are turning)

And if you fall....

And if you fall....

Hold my hand

Ooh, baby, it’s a long way down to the bottom of the river

Hold my hand,

Ooh, baby, it’s a long way down, a long way down

The wolves will chase you by the pale moonlight

(Drunk and driven by a devil’s hunger)

Drive your son like a railroad spike

(Into the water, let it pull him under)

Don’t you lift him, let him drown alive

(The good Lord speaks like a rolling thunder)

Let that fever make the water rise

(And let the river run dry)

And I said

Hold my hand

Ooh, baby, it’s a long way down to the bottom of the river

Hold my hand,

Ooh, baby, it’s a long way down, a long way down

Hold my hand

Ooh, baby, it's a long way, a long long long way

Hold my hand

Ooh, baby, it's a long way down, a long way down

The crickets of the country land filled the sounds of the night. Bundles of fireflies speckled the sky with tiny little stars fluttering around. I stood amazed at nature's beauty as the cotton plants swayed softly in the whistling winds. The weeds stretching out of the ground, broke the path as we made it to the river.

The cock's gonna call in the morn'ng, baby.

"C'mon, Wilma! Before Massa finds us!" My newly-wedded husband whispered quite loudly. Yes, I was born a slave. I prayed to God to help me find a way away from the south.

So, go to the river where the water runs.

Being a slave wasn't a privilege, and it sure wasn't a necessity. And if you fall... and if you fall.

"Hold my hand," he stretched his arm out. I was very frightened that we'd get caught. In the distance, I heard the horseshoes of the horses stomp the dirt roads. I knew of the sound of the horses made and their shoes were on tight.

"Is a long wey down, a long wey down." He glanced at the distance from this side of the river to the other.

Drunk and driven by the devil's hunger.

My attention shifted to the faint light of the torches I began to notice as they drew closer. "Oh no! They a comin'!"

He grabbed my hand as we chanted a short prayer to God before we jumped into the swampy mesh of water. Quickly, we began swimming across gaining momentum. I could hear the sounds of the invisible shackles and chains beginning to break off my wrists.

HOLD MY HAND...

The white men chased after us as we made it over the river. We began running for dear life.

Hold my hand...

Freedom was just so close to grab, but was so slippery through my hands.

Hold my hand...

Rodney and I raced faster and faster, fingers laced together.

Hold my hand...

Our footsteps grew heavier as the adrenaline pumped. Our hearts battered out of our chest, it'd be painful if we stopped. We were to continue until our hearts couldn't take it anymore.

Down...

We soon found a ditch as we slid down in the mucky swamp at the side of a nearby road.

Down...

We quickly covered ourselves in the clay and mud over our skin face, and along with our clothes.

Down...

They soon traveled near us.

As we lied motionless in the dirty abyss, they searched and searched for us.

Down...

The puzzled expressions on their face babbled out commands as they ordered to retreat.

"Those niggers can't survive out there anyways. Round up, boys!" The leader demanded.

The troops rounded up their men and began travelling back. The leader walked alone, as he searched thoroughly for us. He knew we were hiding, but where?

Soon, the leader aborted and hopped on his horse, and he began trotting back to the southern house. The sign of relief washed over the both of us as we turned to each other.

Rodney slowly traveled his hand to mine. He smiled softly, grabbing my hands as we stayed down. I grinned back. We were one step closer to freedom. "I love you." I choked out.

"I love you, too."

"Ooh baby, it's a long way down, a long way down..." I whispered.

This is to make up for my slow updates for all my stories. Sorry again, MITCL will start soon, and an update of YJDU is coming hopefully. If you have a request, comment or inbox. Thanks for votes, comments, and for sharing this storybook filled of stories.

~Déjà