Chapter 44

Carter's POV

After Taylor leaves, I let my eyes close, a wave of tiredness hitting me. I groan internally when I hear the door open.

"Carter-" a nervous voice starts.

"Jake, get our of my room before I call security," I snarl, cringing when a sharp pain goes through my chest- I guess I jumped up too fast.

"Carter, I just wanted to apologize. I'm sorry for going after Taylor when I knew you two were dating, and then I'm sorry again for coming to her house when," he pauses, and swallows loudly, unable to say the words. "When you were grieving. I'm sorry."

I sigh. I'm still insanely angry at him, but I don't think anger is going to help me much.

"Okay," I state.

"Okay?"

"I acknowledge your apology. It's taken into consideration. Maybe I'll forgive you at some point- I mean, I want to forgive you. But the wound is still fresh and whatever. And I think you can understand if I want you to stay the hell away from Taylor for a while," I boldly say, almost like an order. He nods thoughtfully.

"That's fair. I'll keep my distance, I promise. I'll leave you guys alone- at least for a little while," he agrees, offering me a weak smile. I don't return it at first. "And Carter- can you tell her I said I'm sorry. She won't listen to me- maybe she'll listen to you."

At this point, I return his smile. Sure, I hate his guts right now. But I can at least appreciate he had the guts to apologize to me.

"Sure- I'll tell her," I reply.

He gives me a grateful grin, before exiting the room.

I feel a bit lighter, like an enormous weight had been taken off my chest. Finally at peace, I drift off to sleep.

Taylor's POV

I hurriedly buy a ham and cheese omelette, along with two strips of bacon and an apple juice. As much as I hate to admit weakness, Carter was right. I'm absolutely famished.

I take a seat at an empty table, and begin to scarf down my food at a rate that would impress a hog.

The food is subpar, but it's better than nothing- especially since I haven't eaten in over twenty four hours. I'm almost surprised I haven't passed out. Any longer and I might have.

Of all things I could possibly think of right now, I start thinking about college. I haven't applied for any schools or scholarships. Neither has Carter (that I know of).

I know what I want to do now- I wasn't sure for a while, but I am now. I want to be a social worker. I don't want the system to ever fail anyone as bad as it failed me.

I want to, in some way, incorporate horses into it. Perhaps I'll bring the orphaned children to the farm and let them ride our horses. Or maybe during the summer I'll have a summer camp for troubled and orphaned teens. I don't know- I just know I have to help children and teens who are like I was- unwanted and broken.

I suddenly feel the need for fresh air, and since I've finished my meal, I stand to my feet and start to leave the hospital, walking towards the entrance so I can step outside.

Let me tell you- big mistake.

The moment I exit, lights flash around me. Camera, microphones, reporters- everywhere. Their voices overwhelm me, mingling together into a wave of questions.

"There she is! The girl who came back from the dead!"

"Taylor Evans- do you have a statement on the state of Carter Stone?"

"Taylor- is it true your parents have come back after being lawfully dead for ten years?"

"Taylor-"

"Taylor-"

"Taylor!"

"Everyone QUIET!" I shout, my head pounding and my knees feeling weak.

The people around me fall silent, and all I can hear is the sound of labored breathing. I take a deep, calming breath and speak.

"I'm Taylor Evans- the girl who came back from the dead. I never really died. I faked it on the advice of the police. My life- and the lives of the people I love- were in danger, due to Clint Harris and Alexander Jones, two men who wanted me and my family dead. This is the same reason my parent disappeared ten years ago. The criminals later kidnapped me, along with my family and Carter Stone, and gave me an ultimatum I don't care to go into, so don't bother asking. I got away, along with my recently discovered sister who's name I will keep private. After I escaped, the two men shot Carter, and then were killed by police. Carter went into open heart surgery, but is now doing well and is conscious and responsive. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'd like to go back inside and be with my boyfriend," I inform surely and in a authoritive tone.

A moment of silence passes, before they start crowding me and bombarding me with more questions. Savage reporters.

I feel arms on my shoulders and a voice I instantly recognize say "Come with me."

Now, Jake is probably not my first choice of people to save me, but at this point I don't care.

He grabs my wrist, and helps me through the crowd, pulling me into the hospital and into an elevator.

He noticed he's still holding my wrist, and drops it instantly. He eyes me cautiously, a look of worry on his face, as if he doesn't know how I'm going to react.

"Thank you," I whisper gratefully.

"Don't mention it."

A/N

Hope you liked it. Sorry I've taken so long. I'm in exam week right now. But after today I'm on spring break. So hopefully more updates. But I only have one/two more chapters left of this book.

Go

Check

Out

My

New

Book

RECOVERY