Chapter 23

"Are you sure you don't mind us going," Mrs. Stone asks for the thousandth time.

"It's okay- you guys have a lot to celebrate. Just because I'm sick doesn't mean you should suffer," I hoarsely reply from under my covers.

She sympathetically looks at me, before closing my bedroom door and leaving me to 'suffer' in peace.

Of course, I'm not actually sick. It's an act. As soon as I hear them leave, I call Chief Peters who is waiting for my okay to have a team come down and dust for fingerprints, hoping to maybe catch Clint Harris's partner in crime.

In minutes, two cop cars show up in the drive, and I walk out to greet them. I almost feel self conscious that I'm my dressed more professionally- I have on sweatpants and a sweatshirt, my hair piled in a messy bun on top of my head.

"Thanks for coming," I say as soon as Chief Peters gets out of the car. "Do you have any leads?"

"Sadly, no. This is the only sign of Clint we've had since I last talked to you."

I sigh, watching as a small team of four police start going over the barn with brushes and evidence bags. Due to the secretive nature of this crime, they have to work quickly before the Stones get home.

"My parents..." I start, trailing off.

"They've been notified of the situation- but they have yet to make any effort to reply."

"Are you sure they got the message?" I ask.

"Positive," a new deputy chimes in.

"And you are?"

"Deputy Jones," Peters states. "Yeah, Deputy Jones was in charge of notifying them. They just- haven't replied."

It surprises me that I feel betrayed. A part of me thought they would rush in to save the day.

"Are you okay," Chief Peters asks, noticing my sorrowful expression.

"I just can't believe that- I might have to give all this up," I whisper, glancing around at the barn. "If I do leave- how do I know they'll be safe?"

"We'll have constant police supervision hidden in the woods by your house," he answers.

"If there are police here- why do I have to leave?"

"If you stay, we won't just have to worry about the Stones- we'll have to worry about all your friends at school, and every other citizen of Oakville. Clint Harris isn't like most people- he won't stop killing till he gets what he wants, and what he wants now is you, along with your parents," Deputy Jones chimes in grimly, before going back to investigating the crime scene.

I glance at Chief Peter's, hoping he'll tell me that Deputy Jones is wrong, and doesn't know what he's talking about- but he doesn't. He just gives me a sympathetic look, patting my shoulder.

"I know how hard this is- trust me. But it will be for the best."

"If I have to leave- you could catch Harris," I hopefully state, though I doubt my words.

"Taylor- I don't want you to be too hopeful. The chances of us catching Clint Harris are small, without your parents. And they haven't made any effort to show up. If I were you- I'd make every moment count."

-------------------

"Hey, how are you feeling?"

It's around 9:00 now, and they just got home from dinner. Perfect boyfriend that he is, Carter came straight up to my room to check on me.

"I'm feeling better- I took a Tylenol, which seemed to help," I lie.

"Sorry we left you here- you must have been so bored just lying here in bed," he sympathizes, sitting on the edge of my bed.

If only he knew that, while he was gone, I had five police officers dusting the property for fingerprint and searching for evidence to find the man who could quite possibly kill me.

Or that, if we don't find Clint Harris by Saturday, I'm going to simply vanish off the face of the Earth and have him believe that I'm dead.

Or that my heart breaks every time I even think about the fact that I might have to leave him and never see him again.

Or that I'm so completely and utterly terrified of what might happen next.

But I can't tell him, so I just smile up at him, and say, "It wasn't so bad."

I lean into his shoulder, and her drapes his arm over my shoulders, pulling me closer.

I sigh, my mind full of fragmented thoughts that I can't share with him.

Suddenly, my cell phone rings, causing us both to jump. I groan, and pick it up.

"Hello?" I answer, annoyed by the sudden interruption.

"Taylor?" I instantly recognize the terrified voice speaking through my phone.

"Jake? What's wrong?"

"What is he doing calling you," Carter jealously asks, scowling at me. I ignore him, listening intently for an answer.

"Taylor- it's awful," Jake chokes out, sounding as if he's holding back tears.

"Spit it out," I snap worriedly, my blood running cold.

"It's Sky- someone tried to kill her," he whispers. I freeze, my mind refusing to register the information.

"Where are you?" I ask after a long silence, already up and walking down the stairs, Carter following behind me, confused.

"Oakville Regional Hospital, the ER."

"I'll be there in 20," I mutter, hanging up the phone.

"Taylor, what's going on?" Carter questions, grabbing my wrist.

"Someone tried to kill Sky."

A/N

Sorry sorry sorry for the not so great chapter!!!

I'll update soon! And sorry for another cliffhanger.

~E