Chapter 32

The door slams closed, leaving me alone with my thoughts.

I can't make this choice. I can't- I can't sentence one group to death and let another live.

If we think of it completely rationally- in one group there are three people, one of them being a child. In the other group there is a boy and a horse. If we are being rational, I should just choose the one with the most people to live.

But I'm not rational.

In fact, I am a completely irrational person.

The fact that I'm in love with the boy in group two doesn't help. Oh, and the fact that I love that horse more than I love myself.

So therefore, I can't do this. I can't. I have to find a way out.

My cell phone.

I had a cellphone in my purse. But where is my purse? They had to hide it somewhere, right?

I glance around the room, trying to find something, anything.

A muffled cry comes from the floor. I glance down and see the girl- my sister- nudging at something with her foot. A rock. A very, very sharp rock.

Just sharp enough to slit duct tape.

"I can't reach it," I whisper quietly. She nods, and tries to wriggle her body around till her hands are positioned by the rock.

"Okay, now take it in your hands and try to cut the tape, okay?" I quietly order. She nods, but the tape over her mouth prevents her from responding verbally.

She fumbles with the rock, repeatedly trying to cut the the tape. It proves a difficult task, as she fails multiple times.

Until she doesn't- the rock makes a muffle sounds as it slices through the tape. A sound that sends a wave of relief through me.

"Now untie your feet," I instruct. She does as I say, before tearing the tape from her mouth. "Good girl. Now can you untie me?"

She glances at her- our- parents, but I shake my head.

"They're still unconscious, it won't do any good," I reject.

"Okay," she replies, starting to untie my feet and arms from the chair I'm sitting in.

"Ariel, right," I question.

"Yeah. What's your name again?" she asks.

"Taylor," I mumble, as she finishes untying me and I'm free. "We have to be quiet, okay. If they come back in here and find us- well, that won't be good."

She nods, understanding my insinuation.

"Now Ariel, I have a cell phone. It's in a little black purse somewhere. I'm not sure where they put it. Can you help me look for it?"

"Yeah, sure," she mumbles.

We start searching the warehouse, looking over, under, and in between everything. But I don't see my purse.

"We're wasting time," I murmur to myself.

I pass by Carter's unconscious body, and a thought clicks in my mind. He has a cell phone. Maybe, just maybe they forgot to take it from him.

I fall to the floor, and start searching through his pockets. Bingo.

"Ariel- come here," I whisper.

She pokes her head out from behind a box, and does as I say.

"I found a phone."

I dial in Chief Peter's number, praying that he answers. After a few rings, my prayers are answered.

"Carter?"

"No, it's Taylor," I huff.

"Taylor? What, why do you have Carter's phone."

"Deputy Jones is Clint's partner. He has me in a warehouse, along with my parents, Carter, and Ezhno. Oh, and my sister. Now there's a convenient little detail you left out," I quietly snap.

"Oh my god. Okay, Taylor, can you tell me where you are?"

"I don't know. It's some sort of warehouse. There are no windows. Clint and Jones are in the next room, I can't be too loud. Can you track the address?"

"That's what I'm doing right now. Is anyone else conscious?"

"Yeah, Ariel. My sister."

"What about the rest."

"My parents aren't. Neither is Carter. I'm not so sure about Ezhno. They have his feet tied together, and he's not moving. But he could just be saving his energy."

"Check. He could be important for getting you out of there."

"He can't carry all five of us."

"I know. But two is better than none."

His words take me off guard- is he saying only two of us might make it out?

"Ariel, can you talk to the police for a minute? I need to check on the horse, okay."

She nods, and takes the phone.

"Ez," I whisper, crawling over to him. His eyes open wide, and his nostrils flare in frustration.

"Ezhno," I almost cry. He's awake, and fully aware. I start to untie his legs, so that he can stand.

The moment his legs are free, he tries to stand.

"No," I snap, grasping his halter, and holding him to the floor. I make him lay down, which I am now thankful I taught him how to do.

"Taylor- the police wants to talk to you again," Ariel states, handing me the phone. I take it, and press it to my ear.

"Yeah?"

"I've tracked the address. We're coming now, but it's half an hour away, best case scenario. But is most likely going to take at least 40 minutes. Will you guys be okay?"

"No- they'll be coming back in soon. We'll all be dead by the time you get here," I whisper, hoping Ariel doesn't hear.

"Okay. Taylor, I want you to take the girl and the horse and get out of there."

"Chief, I can't leave him," I whisper.

"Taylor, do what I say. Set up as many boxes as you can in front of whatever door Clint and Jones went through. Hide your parents and Carter somewhere, and hide them well. That will buy us time to get there. Just trust me, okay Taylor. I promise you I won't let Carter die," he orders, his voice strong.

"Okay. Okay. Just get here soon," I whisper. I hang up the phone, and slip it into my pocket.

"Ariel, we need to build a barricade against that door with all these boxes," I order. "And fast."

A/N

You guys were soooooo scared =]. But I still have stuff planned. And I still have that surprise I told you about a long time ago.

I haven't forgot.

But I won't be announcing that surprise till this book is over.

Thanks for reading my lovelies.

P.S. I might update again today because I'm home sick. I feel horrible.